I just added a 300GB 320-series SSD to a system that already has a couple 160GB X-25M SSDs in it. They're all in AHCI mode, all connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard's integrated Intel ICH10R controller. The new SSD has the latest firmware (4PC10362), I am running Vista64 with Intel RST 10.8 drivers for the ICH10R.
When I try to run the SSD optimizer on the new SSD, it nearly instantly goes to 12% on the progress bar, and hangs there with "Running..." depicted below it. The "Run" and "Schedule" buttons show a blue highlight, indicating they are active choices, and "Cancel" is greyed out and can't be selected. I can close the SSD Toolbox in this state with the "X" icon in the upper right corner of the window, and after that the SSD is filled with .bin files that can be deleted normally.
The optimizer still runs normally (in a few seconds) on the two X-25M SSDs.
How much free space is available on the drive?
Does the drive pass a chkdsk on it without errors?
Is compression enabled on the drive itself via Windows or another 3rd party program? If so try and disable this to see if it helps.
I found the trouble after much hand-wringing--seems that having my external eSATA ports set to IDE mode (the external ports are connected to two separate JMicron HDD controllers on the mobo), with the SSDs running on the ICH10R SATA ports in AHCI mode was causing the problem. As soon as I put all three of the HDD controllers (ICH10R, JMB362, JMB363) into AHCI mode, the SSD Optimizer started to work.
Edit: Well, not so fast. It appears that was a fluke. It's right back to it's previous problem...progress bar hangs at 12%, leaves all the intel_trim_file...bin files on the drive, which have to be manually deleted. The quick and full diagnostic scans run without error, I've tried secure-erasing and creating a new partition from scratch, same thing.
If I use the scheduler, the optimizer starts, then crashes, with a C00000094 exception code at offset 00082eb9, which I believe is a divide-by-zero error.