Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

SSD Toolbox (3.5.10) works with Windows 10?

KO
New Contributor I

I need to erase an ssd to return under warranty. Does the latest version (3.5.10) of the Intel SSD Toolbox "Secure Erase" work with Windows 10? Seems to secure erase in my case - but I'm having trouble with the toolbox identifying my drive correctly. So, I don't know whether the toolbox now works with Windows 10 or is in error (toolbox notes indicate secure erase only works with Windows 7).

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel
Hello KO, Thank you for your reply, The tool will show you as if the process was successfully completed but the drive will still have data on it (this may vary depending on the Windows version, and if the drive is SATA or other technology). The limitation is related to the way that Windows* protect the drives and does not allow the tool to complete the secure erase properly leaving data or traces of data in the drive. For further assistance regarding OS limitations or issues related to your OS, we advise you to contact the Microsoft* community. We advise you to follow the “When to Run a Low-Level Format or Secure Erase on Intel® Solid State Drives and Tools to Use” article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html). We hope you find this information helpful. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Latest version of toolbox is 3.5.11. According to release notes, it has had Windows 10 support for a long while (since v3.3.7, Sept. 2016).

...S

0 Kudos
KO
New Contributor I

Thanks for the taking the time to reply. The latest toolbox you mentioned (3.5.11) was apparently just released this evening but still has the same note as the previous toolbox.

"NOTE:  Secure Erase functionality for SATA devices is blocked by the Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 operating systems."

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28808/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox?v=t

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28674/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

I don't see any mention of Windows 10 with secure erase in the pdf release note for the version (3.3.7) you mentioned. 3.3.7 description relates to updating the secure erase command for the intel 750 SSD and a mention of a fix for Windows 10 with Marvel RAID. Maybe I missed something and support was added in that version - but not listed specifically in the pdf.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28808/eng/Intel_SSD_Toolbox_3_5_11_Release_Notes_325993-051.pdf

I really just wanted a second opinion of someone who's used it with Windows 10. Thank you for letting me know.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello KO, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with Intel® SSD Toolbox. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can review the following information: • You are right we do not recommend using the Intel® SSD Toolbox to run a secure erase in Windows 10* due to an OS limitation. • We advise you to follow the “When to Run a Low-Level Format or Secure Erase on Intel® Solid State Drives and Tools to Use” article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html). We hope you find this information helpful. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
KO
New Contributor I

What is the OS limitation that prevents Windows 10 from being used? The toolbox doesn't display any difference between 7 and 10 - both indicate a successful erase.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello KO, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello KO, Thank you for your reply, The tool will show you as if the process was successfully completed but the drive will still have data on it (this may vary depending on the Windows version, and if the drive is SATA or other technology). The limitation is related to the way that Windows* protect the drives and does not allow the tool to complete the secure erase properly leaving data or traces of data in the drive. For further assistance regarding OS limitations or issues related to your OS, we advise you to contact the Microsoft* community. We advise you to follow the “When to Run a Low-Level Format or Secure Erase on Intel® Solid State Drives and Tools to Use” article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html). We hope you find this information helpful. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
KO
New Contributor I

Thanks for providing an answer and confirming the need for Windows 7. Not sure if any Intel software engineers read the forums, but the tool shouldn't show a successful erase if that's not the case - that's bad software design (i.e. false positive). Also, those "low level" formatting programs are mostly designed for hard drives and also don't erase bad blocks or bad ssd nand cells, like a secure erase would. That's also assuming either those recommended low level formatting tools virtualize the nand storage space correctly or the intel ssd controller does.

TL:TR for anyone reading this - use SSD Toolbox or Data Center Tool with Windows 7, nothing else works for business and legal compliance.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello KO, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos