cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox: No Optimization due to " Volume Shadow Copy Service data"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all and support!

In an other thread some users had problems running the new optimizer in the SSD Toolbox 1.2.

Me too - 😉

Running XP pro 32 bit with system recovery disabled (via ssd tweaker util) and volume shadow copy service (vssvc.exe) manually disabled.

There are no system recovery points stored. Additionally I stopped all services that are bound to the backup software Acronis True Image Home

that I have installed. Even when starting XP in secured mode (German: Abgesicherter Modus via F8 at start time) the optimizer didn't start.

Version 1.1 worked so far I could see - I didn't check the variation of access times.

Any hint or clue?

Thomas

SSD X-25M 160GB Gen2 (FW 02HD), Notebook Samsung Aura Danica, XP Home SP3 32-bit, SSD Toolbox 1.2.0

48 REPLIES 48

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello all and support!

So far one other Thread is opened, bound to this theme. The suggestion, Microsoft Hot Fix for 64bit XP doesn't

work on my / our 32bit XP.

Seems a lot of users experienced that problem - what can we do to assist finding a solution?

Any further input / system descriptions needed?

Still waiting for a solution

Thomas

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello and a spezial hello @intel-support

I've got the same problem, with my X25-M G2 80 and 160 GB in my notebook and also in my desktop pc.

/thread/9756?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/9756?tstart=0

I hope there will be soon a bugfix for this problem.

fjord

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, here's a possible solution for your problem:

I've also had the same problem with Intel Toolbox 1.2 on 32 bit XP, ie. i've got the message saying that i had shadow copies (while i didn't have them obviously).

Now i've found the reason for the problem, it occurs with non-English Windows XP (localized versions).

Intel toolbox calls "vssadmin.exe" from \system32 (32bit xp case) and issues "vssadmin list shadow" command and waits for resposne "No shadow copies" in the textual output... However, if you're running a localized windows (in my case - Hungarian, but German would be also problematic) vssadmin will not return this message in English, but in the local language, so the Intel Toolbox will think that there are shadow copies exist on your system because the expected string is not found in the output.

As a workarount, i've grabbed a hex editor and edited the string table at near the end of vssadmin.exe and replaced the Hungarian message to the English equivalent: "No shadow copies". The original version was longer, so i've just replaced the rest of the letters with spaces.

After this, the toolbox ran fine and i have sucessfully optimized my drive.

You could probably also get a vssadmin.exe from an English XP and overwrite your one, at least temporarily, before running the toolbox.

Good luck!

(i've also posted this in the other thread, i hope that's not too much of a problem)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

GREAT JOB GSzabo!

IT WORK.

Intel ingeneer still not update the tool yet :((

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks allot. This helped me as well.

I have the English Windows XP, but with Swedish language pack. So all I had to do was switching language back to English and run the SSD toolbox again. Work perfectly.

I hope Intel will release a fix for non-English XP.