cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox: No Optimization due to " Volume Shadow Copy Service data"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all and support!

In an other thread some users had problems running the new optimizer in the SSD Toolbox 1.2.

Me too - 😉

Running XP pro 32 bit with system recovery disabled (via ssd tweaker util) and volume shadow copy service (vssvc.exe) manually disabled.

There are no system recovery points stored. Additionally I stopped all services that are bound to the backup software Acronis True Image Home

that I have installed. Even when starting XP in secured mode (German: Abgesicherter Modus via F8 at start time) the optimizer didn't start.

Version 1.1 worked so far I could see - I didn't check the variation of access times.

Any hint or clue?

Thomas

SSD X-25M 160GB Gen2 (FW 02HD), Notebook Samsung Aura Danica, XP Home SP3 32-bit, SSD Toolbox 1.2.0

48 REPLIES 48

PAckr
New Contributor II

I did download and try this hotfix since it was on a page that referred to XP64, but the hotfix would not install & gave a wrong version of windows error.

I'll try to change the codepage some other way over the weekend (its been a while since I had to do DOSSY stuff).

I appreciate the help.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

To replace vssadmin.exe with the mod version (or english one) use the program REPLACER (type "Replacer download" in google to find it).

Simply run the program and follow instructions, when done windows alert you about the wrong version, simply say to take new version and reboot system.

That's all.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A question for all those of you who really got this toolbox function properly: is it really necessary, in addition to correct the vssadmin.exe (or modify the codepage), to disable the windows restore point system and to disable the Shadov Volume service?

PAckr
New Contributor II

In answer to "is it really necessary to disable the windose restore point system" question:-

I am using the TRIM function with toolbox V1.1 which does not check to see if the system restore function is running. It was withdrawn I think because it corrupted restore points. So whether toolbox V1.1 or V1.2 is in use, you could not do a restore but for different reasons.

V1.2 needs the restore function to be off in order to work.

V1.1 runs whether the restore function is on or off but I THINK using restore would corrupt things if I used it, but I'm not going to test it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't need to disable the system restore service with Toolbox 1.2.

The presence of volume shadow copy are not the problem, is the vssadmin.exe that is interrogated by Toolbox for shadow copy in creation state (ex. windows backup program working).

I dont use the restore service, so I don't know if it work or is corrupted by the Toolbox.

I think toolbox is usefull if it do the Trim command (who read about how SSD work know what importance had the Trim command).