cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Are there any plans for the SSD toolbox to come to Macs? Or at least a way to update the firmware without using Windows (Yuck!)? I mean c'mon, Macs are the future! Get with it Intel!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I do not believe Apple ships any of their products with Intel SSDs. If they did, I would think Intel would be more inclined to port the SSD Toolbox.

Also, note that OSX does not support TRIM.... However, I'm not sure if HFS+ fragments pages as much as NTFS.

Firmware update does not require Windows. You download an disk image (.iso), burn it to a disk, and boot off this disk.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

a99mac wrote:

Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. But I feel like Intel should offer universal support for all their SSD's. It's an aftermarket item as well. I purchased the Intel because it doesn't exhibit any of the problems plagued by Sandforce based SSD's when installed in Macs. I guess I won't get my hopes up but I will keep my fingers crossed. AND throw a couple pennies in the jar so if this one gets slow I can purchase another one ASAP. I can't go back to HDD speeds now!

I think you may be asking for too much.... From my understanding of the Apple ecosystem, very few companies provide direct driver or hardware tools. For example, go look at aftermarket Apple certified video cards.

Asking for universal support is somewhat unreasonable. If anything, Linux should be the next OS that would get the SSD Toolbox.

If your Intel SSD starts to exhibit write performance degradation due to lack of TRIM, there is no need to buy a new one. A solution would be make a backup image of the drive, use a 3rd party tool like Secure Erase to clean all the pages, and then reapply the image.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, you're adding insult to injury now. Linux before OSX? Really? The Secure Erase is all I need, I suppose, because all I want is to maintain my write speeds. Thanks!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Linux has a greater marketshare than OSX.

Many Linux servers would gain greater benefit from SSD in their workloads than desktop installations.

Enterprise can afford this type of upgrade.

However, Linux supports TRIM now so it does not need the Toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Mac provides a complete branded "product". You can't blame companies that supply the parts. The real problem here is that Mac's don't support TRIM, which is hardly Intel's fault.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The fact that Linux doesn't need the toolbox is more reason for Intel to skip it and support Macs. Intel provides other components used in Macs and well informed users choose the Intel because of the stability, as oppose to just benchmark scores. Additionally, Mac users are more likely to spend the money to upgrade to an SSD. Please forgive me if I've stepped on socio-economic toes, I'm poor too.