cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Are there any plans for the SSD toolbox to come to Macs? Or at least a way to update the firmware without using Windows (Yuck!)? I mean c'mon, Macs are the future! Get with it Intel!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I do not believe Apple ships any of their products with Intel SSDs. If they did, I would think Intel would be more inclined to port the SSD Toolbox.

Also, note that OSX does not support TRIM.... However, I'm not sure if HFS+ fragments pages as much as NTFS.

Firmware update does not require Windows. You download an disk image (.iso), burn it to a disk, and boot off this disk.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

a99mac wrote:

The fact that Linux doesn't need the toolbox is more reason for Intel to skip it and support Macs. Intel provides other components used in Macs and well informed users choose the Intel because of the stability, as oppose to just benchmark scores. Additionally, Mac users are more likely to spend the money to upgrade to an SSD. Please forgive me if I've stepped on socio-economic toes, I'm poor too.

Let's not get into an Apple vs the world thread.... but I am going to address your points:

Linux made the effort to support SSDs and is easier to add demanded features. OSX did not and is not.

Apple contracted Intel to provide CPU and chipsets for thier product. Intel is supplying Apple with parts and it is Apple who provides the technical and customer service. This is quite different from an end-user making a purchase of an Intel retail product.

AMD CPUs are just as stable as Intel. Stablity is not a reason that a well-informed user would use as a criteria. If you want to talk about stablity of the platform, AMD is better today. They are providing upgrade paths for end-users with Socket AM2->AM2+->AM3->AM3+.

What evidence do you have that a Mac user would more likely upgrade to a SSD? SSDs are probably most popular with PC enthusiasts who build and tweak their own machines. They are also getting popular with high-end servers who understand the benefits. Apple's target market tends to be users looking for ease of use.... A crowd less likely to spend on new hardware components.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My apologies if I sounded flippant, I'm not looking for an argument or a debate either. I'm just taken aback that Macs still seem to get no respect. The fact that Apple is slow to implement some technologies seems like a good selling point for Intel to leverage against the other aftermarket SSD manufacturers. I'm very active in the Mac community and everybody I know is upgrading to an SSD. IDK.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

a99mac wrote:

My apologies if I sounded flippant, I'm not looking for an argument or a debate either. I'm just taken aback that Macs still seem to get no respect. The fact that Apple is slow to implement some technologies seems like a good selling point for Intel to leverage against the other aftermarket SSD manufacturers. I'm very active in the Mac community and everybody I know is upgrading to an SSD. IDK.

It is not a matter of respect... but a matter of economics. Companies generally do not on whims

You do bring up a good point about a market opportunity. I cannot pretend to know the cost vs benefits of providing additional Mac tools.

I tried researching how HFS+ works... but I cannot find documentation. Would you happen to know I can find this information?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No but I did google it and got Mac OSX Internals chapter 12 in Google Books. Might help. All that kind of stuff is way beyond my field of expertise.