cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox crashes after launch

AAmbr
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Since the purchase of my Intel SSD drive (Intel SSD 335) I am unable to run the SSD Toolbox software. I have tried with the then-current version (3.1.0) and three consequent versions (3.2.0, 3.2.1 and lastly 3.2.3).

The issue is always the same - I install the software without problems, but after launching the application it crashes with the typical Windows' "application has stopped working" modal.

I have contacted support a few times already with this issue, but it's gone nowhere; today I performed two tests with the software:

I installed the SSD Toolbox on another computer, where it had no problem with running (note: there are only HDDs installed on said computer), while on my laptop (where my SSD is installed and used as the only/primary disc) the toolbox kept crashing (always referencing a faulty msvcr90.dll - multiple versions, removals, reinstalls or updates did not help at all.).

So, using Microsoft's Dependency Walker I ran the software on both PCs, with 'Profiling' option on and after reviewing the logs I found one difference - some libraries aren't being run/loaded on the 'faulty' machine. The diff of both logs is available at this link - http://www.diffchecker.com/j4p4joi4 http://www.diffchecker.com/j4p4joi4 - on the left is the log of the 'running' machine, on the right the faulty one.

They are pretty much the same (only the addresses change) until the line 1812, where the 'OK' machine runs a few wintrust.dll & setupapi.dll functions, while the other one doesn't at all. After few more lines, at 1850, an exception occurs on the 'faulty' one, which then propagates to the end of the log and the program termination.

I'm using (on both machines) Windows 7 64-bit. I'll be happy to supply more debug data if requested.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AAmbr
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

bump?

//EDIT: Okay, it seems I figured it out

What I did was I opened the Intel Turbo Memory Console, unchecked both Windows ReadyBoost and Windows ReadyDrive functions (restarted the pc when prompted both times), opened Disk Management, right-clicked the IMD-0 drive and set it to offline, uninstalled the Turbo Memory driver, restarted, and voilà.

Device Manager is now showing an unknown device, there is no extra drive in Disk Management, and Intel SSD Toolbox 3.2.3.400 runs perfectly fine.

So I guess my year-long issue is solved

(now another question arises - is there any way I could get the Turbo Memory thing working as a paging partition and still use the Toolbox? Hm hm... But let's leave that for another thread )

//EDIT2: okay, so I fiddled with it some more and reinstalled the Turbo Memory driver. After the compulsory restart I opened Turbo Memory Console, disabled ReadyBoost (& rebooted), disabled ReadyDrive (& rebooted again), formatted the 1.3GB partition with NTFS and assigned a letter to it, and now I can use both disks while being able to run SSD Toolbox the new partition isn't showing up in the Toolbox, but I guess that's not a problem.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Hi eidam655, thank you for posting in Intel Support Communities.

I suggest you repairing your Microsoft* .NET framework installation; this is very easy to accomplish by opening Programs and Features, highlighting this software component and clicking Uninstall/Change and then you can click Repair. I am very positive this will help because the log appears to be pointing at it.

I also found after a quick online search that msvcr90.dll is related to the http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26368 Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package. Uninstalling and reinstalling this package may help too.

AAmbr
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

hi Joe,

i tried repairing the .NET 4.5.1 package installed and also tried to uninstall and reinstall all the Visual C++ 2008 redistributables, but nothing helped; the application still crashes after launch.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Please share more information about your system, such as: processor, chipset, SATA controller model and SATA mode (AHCI, IDE, RAID). You may also attach the msinfo32 report with the Advanced Editor (press Windows* key + R key, type "msinfo32", press OK and then File, Export).

AAmbr
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

i'm on a laptop (lenovo x200 tablet, 7449-fxg) with an intel SL9400 1.86GHz CPU, SATA is in AHCI mode, the SSD is the only drive in the system.

i'm attaching the msinfo32 report.