cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox for Mac?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Are there any plans for a SSD Toolbox for Mac?

The SSD Toolbox for Windows does not support HFS+ (the Mac file system), so even if run on a Boot Camp Windows installation next to Mac OS X it does not optimize Mac partitions using TRIM... 😞

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I would rather ask Apple to implement the ATA command TRIM into OSX.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's quite clear that the burden is now on Apple's side - they have to update the drivers.

The only other option for the time being is to use Disk Utility, and do do a full/secure erase option that writes the partition with 1s and restore the partition from backup such as Time Machine - doesn't take too long for me.

The other option is not to care about write performance so much and enjoy other benefits of SSD - read speed, silence, no moving parts etc.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

xchaotic,

I read somewhere that using Disk-Utility secure erase is not the same as doing a ATA Secure Erase.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Exactly, the disk utility's disk erase does not tell the disk that the data on the disk can be overwritten without the usual read-modify-flash-write procedure and thus, the write speed should not increase just by overwriting the disk with 0's (this is what disk utility does) and rebuilding the data from a second disk.

I agree that Apple should add TRIM support for Mac OS X and indeed there seems to be at least one person at Apple who's considering:

"We're currently investigating TRIM support." (http://lists.apple.com/archives/darwin-dev/2009/Oct/msg00158.html)But as long as the SSDs Apple is selling in their MacBooks do not support the TRIM command, I won't bet that we will be seeing TRIM support in Mac OS X anytime soon...