Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Solid State Drives
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4365 Discussions

SSD Toolbox not working with x25M G2 - need technical help

idata
Community Manager

I recently upgraded my computer & added a new 320 series SSD as the Boot/OS drive. I'm trying to Secure Erase & Optimize my old x25M G2 - but the toolbox will not let me.

Intel SSDSA2M080G2GC:

Intel SSD Optimizer - This tool is not supported on the selected drive.

Secure Erase - This tool cannot be run on a bootable SSD or SSD with partition

I think the core problem might be that this drive used to be my OS drive & had a hidden boot partition (created as part of the Win 7 install). I've tried deleting all partitions & the volume in Win 7 (64). I've tried deleting all partitions using EASUS Partition Master. The drive is not recognized without a volume - but with a simple volume formatted (only showing one) I still get the original errors.

I've even tried hotswapping the drive with the toolbox running - but that doesn't seem to work either.

Searched all over the internet & other forums, but no solution as yet - very frustrated at this point.

Could this be a BIOS / Mobo problem?

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated!

SYS:

Asus P8Z68-VPro

Intel Core i5 2500K

Win 7 (64) running on new 320 Series 80 Gb SSD

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Community Manager

After a confab with the good folks at Intel, the problem is solved.

Basically I just ran Diskpart under the DOS shell provided in my Win 7 Disk. The other problem may have been related to which SATA controllers were talking to the SSD's.

In case anyone else runs into this issue, here's what to do: (Caveat - follow these instructions at your own risk!) [Written for those at my tech level or below...]

- Turn your computer off & unplug it.

- Disconnect all drives except the one you want to Secure Erase (leave your DVD player connected)

- plug it back in, turn on & insert the Win 7 disk.

- Boot from the Windows* installer CD, allow it to load the files, and get to the part where it asks you to choose the time and language.

- At this part press Shift-F10 this will load a DOS environment.

- Type:

CD..

diskpart

List disk

Select disk # (no # sign just the number of the disk you wish to clean)

clean all

- wait.

- keep waiting

- (even with an SSD clean all under DiskPart takes a while)

- When it is finally finished (+/- 20 minutes... ) turn your computer off, unplug & reconnect all your drives, plug it back up & boot normally.

- note: make sure your SSD drives are connected to an intel controlled SATA port - not, for instance, a Marvell or JMicron controlled port (not saying these are a problem per-se - but I don't think the Intel SSD Toolbox likes to work with them... or, put another way, Intel likes Intel.)

Once you're back in Windows

- Right click on 'Computer' (under Start) & select 'Manage'

- left click on 'Disk Management'

- Assign the wiped drive a letter (give it a simple volume) (right click the drive & choose)

- Exit Computer Management & run the SSD Toolbox.

Everything should be functional...