cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD X25-M 160GB Clone Operation rendered SSD unusable

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I was cloning my standard HDD to my SSD (X25 160GB Gen 1) using Acronis, when power save settings shut the laptop down in mid clone. Since then, I can't get the SSD to register as a valid drive. Is there a way of recovering the drive (flashing an SSD image, etc.)? I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Cheers.

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How were you cloning (i.e. USB HDD applying image to internal SSD)?

When you say "can't get the SSD to register as a valid drive".... is that in Acronis or BIOS? Is the SSD connected via the internal SATA port? If so, does the BIOS register the drive?

You may just need a low-level reformat and start again.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The SSD was in an external USB enclosure, and I was cloning my laptops internal HDD using Acronis True Image Home Version 2011.

When I plugin the SSD (still in the USB enclosure) into the laptop, it is not recognised by Windows Drive Manager, or File Explorer (hence I can't refomat, etc.). When I look at the System Device Manager, it appears that the drive is 'seen', however I'm unable to do anything. Acronis is also unable to recognise that the SSD is attached.

I haven't tried inserting the drive internally to see if the BIOS would recognise and enable reformatting. Is this worth a go?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've recently had a strange experience with a brand new X25-M (my second now). I had a driver error that caused a conflict in sleep mode. This caused a blue screen when the PC came out of sleep mode. The drive came up as "locked" in the raid rom (it was a non-array member disk at the time) and when I tried to reboot the drive could not then be seen by the OS. (Win 7/64).

I tried hddease and had problems getting it it to run with the drive attached but eventually I was able to get in running and execute a secure erase. The drive became un-locked and has worked perfectly ever since. Weird. Luckily I was working with a recent system image so I didn't lose any data.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If Windows sees it, then it will appear in the BIOS. You might want to try a low-level reformat or zero-write to it.