cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD X25-M 160GB Clone Operation rendered SSD unusable

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I was cloning my standard HDD to my SSD (X25 160GB Gen 1) using Acronis, when power save settings shut the laptop down in mid clone. Since then, I can't get the SSD to register as a valid drive. Is there a way of recovering the drive (flashing an SSD image, etc.)? I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Cheers.

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Redux - How did you know that your drive was in a 'locked' state?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I assume to do this, you need to insert the drive within the laptop?

Cheers.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That is what it told me in the Raid ROM when I tried to boot. Whilst the drive was in this state I could not boot up with it plugged in. When I hot plugged it after Windows had loaded the drive could not be detected. To be able to secure erase the drive I had to leave it un-plugged until hdderase had loaded past a certain point. Totally weird. I've used Intel drives for a couple of years and this was the 1st time I experienced something like this.

Running a secure erase with hdderase resets the drive back to factory condition.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for explaining. I'll have a go this evening at using HDDErase. Failing that, I'll pop the SSD within the laptop to see if the BIOS can recognise and force a low level format.

Fingers crossed!!