cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD X25-M 80GB with only 8MEGAbytes available

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
A few days ago I bought an Acer Aspire Timeline AS3810t-6775 which came with an Intel SSD X25-M 80GB. After 2 days of operation, the HD simply recognizes only 8 megabytes. In the BIOS, Serial Number field is shown BAD_CTX. I wonder if Intel has a fix for this problem. I can not claim warranty as bought in the U.S. but I am in Brazil now.
11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Formating or writing over the drive is not the same as sending an ATA Secure Erase command to the drive, which is what the HDDErase tool does. By running that victoria tool, every pass it ran used up another of your 10,000 allowed MLC cell writes.

An alternative to the HDDErase is using the hdparm tool in Linux:

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have SLC drive and SMART attribute that is showing flash wear aka Endurance Remaining (232) is changed from 89 то 88 that is not critical for me. Anyway I got stable drive after all. Thanks for hdparm tip

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i have exactly same issue with x18-m 160G gen 2. things happened when I installing windows 7, i am using thinkpad x301 laptop. I doubt this is a bug with intel x18/x25-m ssd. looks this is not a occasional case.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel just ignores questions about this failure/BAD_CTX meaning. I am sure they know what is happened.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

yes, I agree. I hope intel can face the problem. otherwise, more and more people will suffer.