cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD & AHCI Installation Win7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hello ! Tommorow I am gettin brand new Intel G2 80GB and wonder how to install Windows 7 in AHCI mode... Do I need to load Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver during OS installation ?? Thanx for info.

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface# cite_note-1 this article on Wikipedia:

"Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating system has already been installed."

I'd assume this would come in handy if you want to use RAID in the future. I plan on using my storage drives in RAID1, so this is what I'm attempting. However, I'm stuck right now. If any of you fine gents can lend some advice to me in /message/76641# 76641 this thread, I'd greatly appreciate it.

GBot

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you use RAID 1 you will lose some performance. Another way to utilize a second drive is doing a system backup image to the other drive periodically--and you do not lose performance. The other issue with RAID is one drive dropping from the array and bingo! Not only that, but if you get a virus, trojan, or something that wipes out one drive--it will also wipe out the other drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I suppose I should have just emphasized the part about Intel recommending RAID mode on their mobos, but yes you make some good points. Not really relevant for me since I don't have my SSD working at all anyway...

GBot