cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD and SMART C7 Ultra DMA crc error count?

ZStan
New Contributor II

I don`t see this "important" field with Intel 320 series SSD?

So far i sow a dozen failed/bad sata cables that corrupted HDDs and only way to know if the sata cable is bad is SMART Ultra DMA CRC error count

is there any way for SSD to see if sata cable is bad (most mobo makers ship CRAP sata cables which fail due dirt/wear, ect..)

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What you're looking for is SMART attribute 199 (0xC7), which at present is not implemented on an of Intel's X25, 320, or 510-series SSDs. I sure would hope Intel's controller PHY on the SSD itself would make note of these statistics; I have no idea if it can or cannot. If it can, it could be tied into SMART attribute 199, but a firmware upgrade would be required.

However, SMART attribute 199 can indicate ANY kind of failure between two endpoints (mainboard and drive); the physical connector on either end could be damaged, filled with dust, or not have good contact. The SATA cable wouldn't be to blame for that. If you really want to *just test SATA cables*, you can purchase a commercial-grade SATA cable tester. Be aware they are not cheap, as they test a lot more than just continuity.

So, simply put, as of this writing there is no support for SMART attribute 199.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

With the latest firmware and the Intel SSD toolbox I'm seeing the SMART C7 Ultra CRC error count attribute for my Intel 320 SSDs. One has a count of 1311, so I'll have to keep an eye on it and possibly change the cable...

ZStan
New Contributor II

Change the cable ASAP... bad cable can kill partition/OS (sow that many times) and maybe even produce some big truble for SSD