cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD damaged after 1day ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

i have installed Win7 64bit 3 times on 3 different SSD´s (all of them are X25-M G2 80GB 2.5")

The fist one worked for 1 day before my System reported a S.M.A.R.T. Error (something with the end-to-end error correction)

the Serial Number was : CVPO051301QK080JGN. I sent it back to the supplier for an replacement as i thought this can happen.

The 2nd one worked for about 20 days and then reported the same Error as the 1st one (Serial Number was : CVPo102500Z0080JGN) . I was really surprised as i was quite happy with the performance, so i sent it back to the supplier for an replacement, ok all good things are 3 i thought. But the supplier sent me back the money.

So i ordered a new one from a other supplier, i installed again the Win7 64bit and was stilll working with all windows updates, when suddently the system keep freezing all 2-3 seconds for 1 second, first i thought it is based on the updates which get installed, but finnaly the system freezed completely and i did a hard power off.

The reboot started but what that.... no SSD anymore ??? it does not appear in the BIOS. So now also the 3rd SSD has obviously the same issue, I´m really irritated as all research i did before told me that this is the SSD to use. I have also ordered a new SATA Cable which did not make any difference.

Now i sent back also the 3rd SSD (X25-M G2 80GB 2.5") and will wait for anybody who can tell me whats going wrong on my end 🙂 my current system is not the newest but runs stabel for 2 years and i had never issues with it but i assume it don´t like intels SSD´s 🙂

System :

Mainboard : ASUS P5N-E SLI (NVIDIA nForce Controller)

Grafik : NVIDIA GeForce8800 GTX

Did anybode fight with the same issues i have ?

I think i will just stay on my old HDD and put the Money in my new bicycle 🙂

cheers

Jens

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok, if you got a broken SSD, that is frustrating and a PITA, but it doesn't mean they are all bad products and that you are being taken advantage of. I have several Intel SSDs, and they have all work fine for me, never the slightest glitch.

A couple questions for you regarding your PC's configuration. You have an X58 chipset mother board, so you have an Intel ICH10R SATA controller, which is considered one of if not the best chip of it's type. You also have two SATA 6Gb/s ports provided by the (dreaded) Marvell chipset, likely a 9128, used (and abused) on most X58 boards. You may have a defective SSD, but I must ask if you are using a Marvel SATA port with your SSD?

If so, you really need to try it on the Intel SATA ports. The Intel Toolbox won't work correctly with the Marvell chipset. The number of forum posts on any mother board manufactures web site about problems with the Marvell chipset are so huge compared to problems with any kind of SSD, there is no comparison. If you have used your SSD on the Intel SATA ports with the results you described, then you quite likely have a defective SSD which needs to be replaced.

Yes, your Velociraptors in RAID will easily outperform a broken SSD, that is easy to do. Hopefully you'll end up with a functioning SSD and enjoy it as much as I do mine.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the SSD hooked up on the 6G port, and it looks like it has thrown a rod permanently, I don't want to spend anymore time trying to revive it, so my next one will be a 120G SSD after I send it back, hopefully Intel will let me do the exchange.

Prior to the X58 installation I tried the drive on my older Nforce 780i SLI Evga and I had many freeze ups as well, that board uses a Northbridge chip if I am not mistaken, maybe it's Evga components the drives have a problem with.

The toolbox didn't run on that set up either with win 7 ultimate x64 8200 quad 2.6G cpu corsair DDR2 / Nforce 780i SLI / 2x 300G velociraptor WD 10000rpm

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It might be easier/quicker to exchange your SSD with your retailer, but that is up to you.

Your NForce 780i mother board is another example of a non-Intel chipset mother board. That board, like an Intel X58 board, use what is generically termed a Northbridge and Southbridge chips that perform much of the work that the CPU cannot do. In that type of configuration, the SATA I/O functions are performed by the Southbridge chips, regardless of who makes them. On an X58 PC, the ICH10R chip is the Southbridge and performs among other things the SATA I/O duties.

It sounds like we are 99% sure your SSD is bad. It should have worked on the NForce board, given that it was not defective, although I doubt the Toolbox would function on that chipset, that does not surprise me at all.

If you haven't tried your SSD on the X58 board on the Intel SATA ports, it is worth a try. If that is your RAID interface, it makes no difference to the SSD or RAID, and the Toolbox should run in that configuration. That is actually an optimal configuration for an SSD, recommended by Intel. But that is up to you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for all the input, I am going to give the SSD a last shot on the regular SATA ports of the x58 board although that set up cost me an arm and a leg to build and I don't want to fry anything by testing parts on it but it's worth a last try.

You seem to be pretty tech savy so what other boards would you recommend for SLI set ups on GTX 560ti i7 950 cpu (except MSI) that are more SSD friendly, I am pretty concerned about image and the way they look inside the Antec 900 SE more than performance, as long as they perform OK I'll consider them for future builds.

Naturally performance is important but I figured computing is more or less an eye candy hobby and if we have to spend too much time ressurecting bricked parts where's the fun ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I really hope you try your SSD on the Intel SATA ports, that is the ultimate test, and if it doesn't work there, then it is defective.

Thanks for your comment, but I'm not a big gamer. I can offer some opinions that might help. One quick comment somewhat off your question, the new 2nd generation i7 Intel CPU's, or Sandy Bridge, use chipsets (H67, P67, Z68) that don't have many PCI-E lanes, fewer than 1st generation i7 CPU's (your i7-950, I have an i7-930) chipsets (X58). My point is you won't be gaining anything with gaming going to the current Sandy Bridge mother boards. The second PCI-E slot will always be limited to 8x speed, while the first will be at 16x.

I tend to like ASUS mother boards, as they tend to be performance oriented and are also have many made for gaming. If you will stay with an Intel SSD, I would be sure to get Intel chipsets on the board, as really any board made for i7 CPUs should have. For an Intel SSD, or any really, make sure they have the ICH10R chip, which is Intel's best desktop Southbridge-type chip, although it only has SATA 3Gb/s ports. The 'R' means it supports RAID, and even if you don't use that, it is worth having. You have that now BTW.

I understand why you have an EVGA board if you care about appearance, I have an EVGA X58 SLI LE, which is very sharp looking (it's in it's box right now! And EVGA has B-Stock available for less than $100!) ASUS does not have any X58 boards in black AFAIK, but check their site. Intel boards tend to be more conservative, but if you would like an illuminated skull image on your X58 board, they have it, in black too I believe. I've had good luck with Gigabyte boards too, but I haven't owned any of their current models.

If you have a Fry's store near you, they have all their mother boards on display, so you can get a better idea what they look like. Personally, I am waiting for the Intel socket 2011 CPUs and boards to appear, late this year or early next year. The CPU is larger than 1366 models, quad channel memory, at least 40 PCI-E lanes in it's chipset, boards for those should be real eye-candy. I would bet we'll see builds with three '590's on them, the water cooled versions would look so good.

I may lose my credibility with some other forum members after this post, but hey it's Saturday in June, le'ts party!