cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD damaged after 1day ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

i have installed Win7 64bit 3 times on 3 different SSD´s (all of them are X25-M G2 80GB 2.5")

The fist one worked for 1 day before my System reported a S.M.A.R.T. Error (something with the end-to-end error correction)

the Serial Number was : CVPO051301QK080JGN. I sent it back to the supplier for an replacement as i thought this can happen.

The 2nd one worked for about 20 days and then reported the same Error as the 1st one (Serial Number was : CVPo102500Z0080JGN) . I was really surprised as i was quite happy with the performance, so i sent it back to the supplier for an replacement, ok all good things are 3 i thought. But the supplier sent me back the money.

So i ordered a new one from a other supplier, i installed again the Win7 64bit and was stilll working with all windows updates, when suddently the system keep freezing all 2-3 seconds for 1 second, first i thought it is based on the updates which get installed, but finnaly the system freezed completely and i did a hard power off.

The reboot started but what that.... no SSD anymore ??? it does not appear in the BIOS. So now also the 3rd SSD has obviously the same issue, I´m really irritated as all research i did before told me that this is the SSD to use. I have also ordered a new SATA Cable which did not make any difference.

Now i sent back also the 3rd SSD (X25-M G2 80GB 2.5") and will wait for anybody who can tell me whats going wrong on my end 🙂 my current system is not the newest but runs stabel for 2 years and i had never issues with it but i assume it don´t like intels SSD´s 🙂

System :

Mainboard : ASUS P5N-E SLI (NVIDIA nForce Controller)

Grafik : NVIDIA GeForce8800 GTX

Did anybode fight with the same issues i have ?

I think i will just stay on my old HDD and put the Money in my new bicycle 🙂

cheers

Jens

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, somehow the toolbox worked on the x58 board after I installed some utility from Intel called "rapid storage technology" ran the tests on the SSD and all came out OK except of course the capacity which is still 8M (it's funny how computers operate-garbage in garbage out) I had enough of that drama, Monday morning it's going back to Intel (with a big sad face drawn on the plate ) and I'm getting a 120G

I still think that Intel should've taken care of this 8m business by releasing some sort of fix or patch for EVGA users, I'm sure it's no big deal to them, just an engineer or two spending a weekend typing codes on a computer getting overtime.

Why I went with EVGA ??? ....I'm not sure, I guess it was image more or less and all those fancy buttons and gadgets they put on their boards, I guess in the long run the saying "what shines isn't always gold" is true, they have their share of goof ups just like everyone else, but they have regular updates and fixes for their stuff and very good CS ....compared to HP or Dell

I was also thinking putting another x58 SLI rig together but maybe - like you said - I should wait until those 2011 cpu's come out, I'm the type that likes to build them cover them up, let them sit on top of the desk looking good until I've have had enough of them and then sell them or give them away to family or friends in exchange of beer.

Thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, you are welcome, although it didn't turn out all good in the end. At this point you might as well just return it... although if you wanted to torture yourself some more, you could attempt a Secure Erase from the Toolbox. Forgive me, I felt compelled to say that.

I've wondered why the Toolbox is not more generic in terms of function with other chipsets. Either it is much easier said than done, or there is a legal or business-political reason why it is not done. Such as one or both companies involved wanting the other to divulge their internal firmware or detailed architecture to the other, which would come only at a price or when hard drives fly. Also for example, NVidia was suing Intel, so that put a damper on cooperation between the two (Intel lost as I recall.) Or someone at Intel decided, why enable a competitor to run our free software on their platform, and lose sales of our own? Basic stuff really, although we know whom suffers the most in the end. These seems to be an unwritten rule among PC hardware manufactures, I've seen this with most of them, that is, the less said about something, the better (off we will be.) The more you say, ie: "This software will run on any platform", the more work and cost there will be to back it up. If they can't make it happen for whatever reason, then they are responsible. Pure speculation on my part.

You give away PCs for beer?! Great way to justify a new build. You'll be invited to my next LAN party.

Good luck with your next SSD, if it's an Intel or even if not, install if first on the Intel SATA controller to get it initialized and formatted. Once it is past that and a little testing, then connect it elsewhere.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Somehow I'm getting this weird vibe that these Intel drives are too eccentric and picky, they only like certain systems and manufacturers to work with, and probably only those manufacturers who comply with Intel guidelines, and why should they care anyway ???? Intel's bread & butter is from the cpu's who cares if SSD work or not, the way they figured it is pretty simple "screw EVGA"

Oh well, live & learn I already sent it back and waiting for the 120G and that's the last chance I'll give Intel, if that goes bad, I'm trying something else or go back to the 10000 rpm until these SSD bugs are worked out and out of the way.

Who suffers in the end is us, the consumers, and as enthusiasts these clowns know we will go out and spend our $$$ to whatever new thing that comes out, if it doesn't work RMA it and get a new one, but if you think about it that's bad business because they are aware of the problems and they still release it without a fix.

I just build the system make it look good, and have it sit around the house for a while until I'm satisfied with my creation and then some relative will come around and like it, so I just give it to him/her for a couple of 12 packs of Moosehead in exchange and that's it, $400-800 won't make me any happier so instead of nickle and dime them I just give it to them.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well let's see, of my five Intel SSDs, not one has given me a moments problem. If you were to check any hardware forum, it is well known that Intel SSDs are the most dependable and have the lowest failure rate of any manufacture. Considering that one free program did not work for you, how does that turn into "these SSD bugs"? One one hand, it is unfortunate that the documentation for the Toolbox is not more specific about the hardware platforms it will run on. On the other, when it the last time a Readme file for a BIOS or firmware update stated that this software only functions on a specific mother board or piece of hardware? Well, we all know that, right? Why is this different? If you want to see eccentric, get another manufacture's SSD.

So you got a bad SSD, does that make all of them bad? You've never had a defective part on all the builds you've done? Never screwed one up? I have. You need to know what you are doing, right? Do you know everything? I sure don't.

It always drives me crazy when I read about some PC builders, that have a new build, with an SSD, and are ready to install Windows. They install the SSD on the Marvell SATA port, which has no driver installed, that must be done during the OS installation, and the configuration screen in the BIOS is not part of the standard SATA configuration screen, and the drives on those ports won't be listed in the standard boot options and priority screen. But they do it because it's "cool" to do it on the 6Gb/s SATA ports. When it fails, as I have read on forums over and over again, they are angry and blame the mother board, etc. I'm sick of replying to posts like that.

If you try it again, install it on the Intel SATA ports, with no other drives attached, except the optical drive. That is a Windows 7 thing. If you're not using Windows 7, then you won't have TRIM. I've never had to install Windows more than once on any SSD I've used, if it's done correctly. Yes I learned along the way, but I took the conservative route, which has worked for me. Good luck with the new SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If I was the only one with the 8m problem then I could understand, but as you can see I am not the only one, the Intel forums are full with this complaint.

In fact there are certain tweaks and tricks that only computer savy folks can perform to make those drives run smooth, for the rest of us average computer geeks we are basically screwed, we have to take the chance bricking a couple of drives until we figure out how to get them to work correctly especially if we got non Intel compatible hardware, so you have to take that into consideration.

To me it looks like there are just too many defective Intel SSD's if you take the time and count the unhappy consumers, and that's just on this forum, let alone the ones I interracted with at work and in everyday life.

Back in '96 I used to be a Ford salesman and when the first Explorers came out with fuel pump problems guess what Ford recalled them (all of them) apologized to the buyers in everyway they could, fixed the problem and gave a new Explorer with tons of free features to the people...everyone walked out happy.

Unless Intel does something similar they might gain my respect back, this issue is already getting old, and either they fix it or not in my book they are already on their one way road to shame...'nuff said.