cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD firmaware Update

trewq20
New Contributor

Hey,

I am trying to upgrade my SSD firmware (Intel® SSD Pro 7600p Series 512GB, M.2 80mm, PCIe 3.1 x4, 3D2, TLC). The current firmware version is 'L13P'. I read somewhere that there is a more updated version. So I attempted to upgrade by installing Intel SSD Firmware Update Tool on a USB stick.

At the end of the search process, I got the following error message. "No known update for SSD".

I must, therefore, conclude that there is no updated firmware of this SSD, despite the fact that I have read that there is a newer one?

I am trying to upgrade my SSD firmware (Intel® SSD Pro 7600p Series 512GB, M.2 80mm, PCIe 3.1 x4, 3D2, TLC). The current firmware version is 'L13P'. I read somewhere that there is a more updated version. So I attempted to upgrade by installing Intel SSD Sign Update Tool on a USB stick.

At the end of the search process, I got the following error message. "No known update for SSD".

I must, therefore, conclude that there is no updated firmware of this SSD, despite the fact that I have read that there is a newer one?

Best regards

cristiano

P.S. I attach to this the screenshot of the message sent by the SSD Firmware Update Tool (SSD Firmware Update Tool).

12 REPLIES 12

Dear Leon,

you are extremely kind, I am grateful to you. As you asked me, I'm sending you the screenshots you asked for.

I hope they are the correct data (I'm not very computer savvy).

Thank you again, really.

bye

P.S. I also ran the command

Get-WMIObject win32_physicalmedia | Format-List Tag,SerialNumber

in order to get the SSD Serial Number

Tag          : \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
SerialNumber : 94F2_4081_2AE4_D25C.

Note: I find it very strange that the Serial Number shown by MAN is different from the one returned by the command I ran on PowerShell (probably the command is wrong).

Quote“So, maybe you don't have retail SSD, but some OEM version?”. I actually bought the computer on a manufacturer's website (eg: Dell, Asus, HP etc ..). In other words, I didn't build it myself.

Dear Leon,

thanks for your kind reply.

I am sending you the screenshots you asked for. I hope the data is correct (I'm not very computer savvy).

I also ran the following command in order to get the SSD Serial Number:

Get-WMIObject win32_physicalmedia | Format-List Tag,SerialNumber

This command returned me the following result:

Tag : \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 
SerialNumber : 94F2_4081_2AE4_D25C.

It seems very strange to me that the Serial Number indicated by MAS Tool is different from the one returned by the PowerShell command. I probably ran a wrong command.

QuoteSo, maybe you don't have retail SSD, but some OEM version?. I actually bought the computer on a manufacturer's website (eg: Dell, Asus. HP etc ...). In other words, I didn't build the computer myself.

Thank you in advance, really.

bye

Hi @trewq20 

1. You executed correct command to get the SSD S/N. However the S/N shown in PowerShell or in Command Prompt windows are inconsistent with the one shown by Intel MAS Tool. Could be that this is a different format matter. Any way, the S/N shown by the Intel MAS Tool is consistent  with the number printed on the SSD label. This number (shown on SSD or in MAS tool) should be used when checking for example warranty coverage.

2. Since this number is not recognized on the Warranty Coverage page  your drive probably is some OEM version (i.e. customized for laptop/desktop manufacture). Lets wait for  answer from Intel Support engineer. 

Leon

Hi @LeonWaksman

thank you for your kind reply.

I will, therefore, wait for the response from Intel Support engineer.

Quote: "your drive probably is some OEM version". Actually I didn't buy the SSD in a retail store, but I have that drive already installed on the computer I bought on the Lenovo website. I have not made any hardware changes to the computer so far.

Thanks, as always.

bye

trewq20

hI @trewq20 

1. Exactly, OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer -  That means that Intel designed this SSD to meet the specifications of the company whose label they are made for (Lenovo in this case). Only Lenovo will  support this SSD.

2. You may try to download from Lenovo site NVMe Solid State Drive Firmware Update Utility In the fwnva39w.txt I can see that your SSD is supported SSDPEKKF512G8L. The latest firmware version is L14P . So, since you have now version L13P, there is an update for you.

Leon