cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD firmware update freezes

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've burnt the firmware .ISO to a blank CR-RW and tried updating the SSD in both IDE and AHCI mode..none of them successful. The firmware update runs perfectly up until the point we're the program asks me if I've read the "readme" and if I'm ready to continiue, to which I have to answer Y/N then ENTER. The CD stops spinning for some reason but the keybord works and responds to the keys I press because the reciever blinks, however no letters appear on the screen! (I've already installed win 7 on the system - if that's worth knowing) What should I do?

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

If you haven't already try again with another CD, prob even download the FW update again as well. Also try in another system if possible.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I vaguely remember the exact same thing happening to me. I ended up installing the firmware from a usb thumb drive.

Here is a great thread to explain how to do that if you want to give it a try:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/8906

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks "redux" I'll give it a shot as my attempt with " Cpt.Dogfruit" idea didn't work. I got the EXACT same results. Funny enough, I actually have been looking into the exact same thread you posted above and I certainly hope it works because this thing is driving me nuts! My question is though: WHY!!! My SSD is connected to a SATA port but my DVD burner, being a bit old, is connected to an IDE slot - could that be the culprit? Anyways get back to you when I test this out.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry for not posting for a while...I've been buried with work. Anyways, I wanted to have a look and see what firmware version my ssd was acutally shipped with when I bought it and it seems that the version is 02HA, which I believe is the second-to-last firmware version. This gave me a new perspective seeing as 02HA activates TRIM and all the good and important stuff on my SSD, so in essance I've been having TRIM all the way since I installed the SSD and OS. (OS installed in IDE mode which still has TRIM active, right?) Is it really important to update to 02HD or more importantly what are the differences? I've heard that there aren't that many between these two.