Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

SSD for PCIe V.2?

I would like to take avantage of the PCIe v.2 on my older motherboard DX58SO. I have a PCIe slot I can use. Which type SSD will fit?

Will the newer SSD made for PCIe v.3 still be backwards compatible to my PCIe V.2?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Robywan20000,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

PCIe devices are backwards compatible, so it's possible to use PCIe 3.0 devices in PCIe 2.0 slots, however the performance will be limited to the PCIe 2.0 interface.

This applies for the Intel® SSDs so you should expect a performance decrease when using the drive.

I hope this information clarifies your concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Diego,

That's good so I can use a new PCIe device now in my old motherboard, and bring it with me whenever I have a new motherboard.

The PCIe will still be much faster than the SATA II I'm sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Let us not jump to conclusions here. Your old motherboard and 10-year old processor are not supported on Windows 10.

This is why you need to keep everything about this issue in one thread.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Robywan20000,

My post above is about the use of PCIe 3.0 devices into PCIe 2.0 slots, however you have to consider as well the hardware in your system. If your hardware is too old, then it's probably that you will have issues using the latest devices and software.

This means that even though your motherboard has PCIe 2.0 slots, the PCIe 3.0 drives may not work because of hardware limitations. I cannot say however if it will or will not work because that's not a supported configuration. You may consider that current drives and software are developed for recent/newer hardware (motherboards, processor, etc.) and OS versions.

I hope this information clarifies your concern about the use of the SSDs in your system.

If you are planning to get a newer motherboard, it would be better if you get the new drive once you have the new motherboard.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well,

Windows 10 has been running fine since it's beta inception and flawlessly ever since through today's update. It's running now on my new Intel SSD 5.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Roby, no one said W10 would not run. W10 is NOT SUPPORTED. There is a difference.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos