cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD loses controller protocol INTEL SSDSC2BF180A5L - Pro 2500

kcwilsonii
New Contributor

It's acting like the controller has a problem. SSD reports as Healthy but the Protocol shows up as unknown. It should show ATA. Drive will work for short periods and then stop working. I have to pull the drive let it sit then eventually I can get it to be recognized in the BIOS.

Once it is recognized it will work for a while and I can copy files off of it. The files are fine, but then it stops working again.

I have tried this on 3 different computers with the same problem.

Storage tool reports no other issues

Intel SSD Pro 2500 Series No Opal

Any way to actually fix this? Otherwise, I have a long ways to get everything copied off of it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, kcwilsonii.

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the serial number and logs you provided, your SSD is an Intel® SSD Pro 2500 Series (180GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 20nm, MLC) 7mm, Lenovo* with an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) firmware.

Please, consider the following: Intel® tools may not work with OEM drives due to the firmware and other modifications. 

Intel® does not provide firmware updates to OEM modified hardware.

As a best effort to assist you, we tried to review the logs and information you provided us, but this product has OEM internal firmware and other modifications, we recommend you contacting Lenovo* for them to check the SSD status and if necessary and if available according to their policies, to perform a failure analysis or warranty replacement of this drive.

We would appreciate it if you may let us know if you need further assistance related to another Intel® SSD product or if we can close this thread.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 28th of September 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, kcwilsonii.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you are requesting support for your Intel® SSD Pro 2500 Series, if we inferred correctly, we would appreciate it if you may provide us with the following information:

1- We would appreciate it if you may provide us with the system details by extracting the SSU logs.

A- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ (for Windows*) and to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/ (for Linux) download the software.

B- When you finish downloading it, open it.

C- Attach the file generated by the tool in your reply.

2- We would like to check the SMART attributes of your Intel® SSDs and review them to see if they show any error, using this system or another system that recognize the drives:

*Please extract the following logs by using the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19520/intel-memory-and-storage-tool-cli-command-lin...

- SMART attributes: intelmas show -smart -intelssd “SSD_index”.

-The SSD information using show -all command from Intel MAS CLI: intelmas show -all -intelssd “SSD_index”

A complete User Guide is available below. Replace the “SSD_index” with the actual index number of your SSD.

User Guide:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/30059/eng/Intel_Memory_And_Storage_Tool_CLI_User%20Guide-Public-342...

Video on Intel® SSD Firmware Update and Health Monitoring Using Intel® Memory and Storage Tool (Intel® MAS)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057393/memory-and-storage.html

3- Is this drive new, or it came preinstalled with your PC?

We will follow up with you again on Thursday, the 23rd of September 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

It was pre-installed on my mother's laptop when she starting having problems with it.

I was able to get it to recognize it again on my desktop. 

I have attached the details from the Intel Storage utility and the system details for the desktop I used to check the drive out.

n_scott_pearson
Contributor II

This sounds like the SSD has a component that is failing. It stops responding as soon as it s temperature reaches a certain level. There is really not much you can do about this kind of thing other than have it replaced.

Since (I presume) your warranty period is over (or you don't care; the data is more important), you could open the drive's case and add a heatsink (or at least a better heat spreader) in hopes that this would allow the drive to run for a longer period of time.

Hope this helps,

...S

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, kcwilsonii.

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the SMART logs and the SSU logs, we noticed that your drive is an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) SSD from Lenovo*.

We advise you to get in contact with them to see if they have a firmware update that may fix the issue you are experiencing.

We advise you to backup all your SSD information before troubleshooting or installing any fix on the SSD.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 28th of September 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.