cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD loses controller protocol INTEL SSDSC2BF180A5L - Pro 2500

kcwilsonii
New Contributor

It's acting like the controller has a problem. SSD reports as Healthy but the Protocol shows up as unknown. It should show ATA. Drive will work for short periods and then stop working. I have to pull the drive let it sit then eventually I can get it to be recognized in the BIOS.

Once it is recognized it will work for a while and I can copy files off of it. The files are fine, but then it stops working again.

I have tried this on 3 different computers with the same problem.

Storage tool reports no other issues

Intel SSD Pro 2500 Series No Opal

Any way to actually fix this? Otherwise, I have a long ways to get everything copied off of it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, kcwilsonii.

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the serial number and logs you provided, your SSD is an Intel® SSD Pro 2500 Series (180GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 20nm, MLC) 7mm, Lenovo* with an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) firmware.

Please, consider the following: Intel® tools may not work with OEM drives due to the firmware and other modifications. 

Intel® does not provide firmware updates to OEM modified hardware.

As a best effort to assist you, we tried to review the logs and information you provided us, but this product has OEM internal firmware and other modifications, we recommend you contacting Lenovo* for them to check the SSD status and if necessary and if available according to their policies, to perform a failure analysis or warranty replacement of this drive.

We would appreciate it if you may let us know if you need further assistance related to another Intel® SSD product or if we can close this thread.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 28th of September 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kcwilsonii
New Contributor

I don't have access to the laptop and I have tried this SSD on 3 different desktops with the same problem.

Why would lenovo have a firmware update for this drive and Intel would not?

and backing up the SSD information is problematic at best do it constantly stopping from working.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, kcwilsonii.

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the serial number and logs you provided, your SSD is an Intel® SSD Pro 2500 Series (180GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 20nm, MLC) 7mm, Lenovo* with an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) firmware.

Please, consider the following: Intel® tools may not work with OEM drives due to the firmware and other modifications. 

Intel® does not provide firmware updates to OEM modified hardware.

As a best effort to assist you, we tried to review the logs and information you provided us, but this product has OEM internal firmware and other modifications, we recommend you contacting Lenovo* for them to check the SSD status and if necessary and if available according to their policies, to perform a failure analysis or warranty replacement of this drive.

We would appreciate it if you may let us know if you need further assistance related to another Intel® SSD product or if we can close this thread.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 28th of September 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, kcwilsonii.

Greetings from; Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to Intel® SSD Pro 2500 Series. We would like to know if you were able to check the information we shared in our previous post.

We will follow up with you again on Friday, the 1st of October 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, kcwilsonii.

This post is to follow up on your thread in case there was anything else we could try to do for you.

We previously shared that the best option would be to contact the OEM or system manufacturer for assistance regarding the SSD status and a replacement if needed taking into consideration the OEM firmware.

The thread will be closed right now, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please contact us back by opening a new thread or via any of the available support methods: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician