cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD not recognised after bluescreen

Manuel2
New Contributor II

Dear Community,

I have a severe problem with my Intel SSD NVMe SM2260. After a bluescreen yesterday in Windows 10, it was not able to boot my Laptop up again. In the UEFI the SSD had only been recognised with a capacity of exactly 1 GB (1024 MB), whereas the capacity is 256 GB.

I took the SSD out of my Laptop and put it as a second storage into my PC. When I checked in Windows under Computer Management -> Disk Management, the SSD also shows up with 1 GB and I am asked to initialise the disk… (see first attachment)

Also, the app “Intel rapid storage technology” recognises the SSD only with 1 GB (see attachments 2 & 3).

All data recovery programs I have tried so far were not even able to do anything with the SSD.

When I do initialise the SSD with Windows Disk Management, the SSD shows up as a 2 TB “GPT Protective Partition” (see attachment 4). However, data recovery programs also could not do anything with that…

When I restart the PC, the SSD is again shown as an uninitialised 1 GB disk.

So my question is, if anyone here has experienced anything remotely similar or has suggestions how I can proceed further. When I was dealing with disk problems, at least the correct size was recognized, but I have never experienced anything like that before…

Thank you so much!

11 REPLIES 11

Hello Manuel2,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

Based on the information you shared with us, your SSD is an OEM Intel® SSD Pro 6000p Series 256GB (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/94907/intel-ssd-pro-6000p-series-256gb-m-2-80mm...) with an HP firmware (HP01) installed.

If this SSD came pre-installed on your HP* PC, we recommend you contact HP* to see if they have a firmware update that may fix this issue.

Regarding the data recovery companies, we advise you to review the Data Recovery Options for Intel® SSDs article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006357/memory-and-storage.html)

This article provides a list of companies available to help you with data recovery for your Intel® Solid State Drive. Contact your choice from the companies listed for pricing, services, and terms.

Note

Intel does not represent these companies nor recommend one over the other. Also, we don't reimburse customers for this service, and we don't guarantee data recovery services.

We hope you find this information helpful.

We will follow up with you again the next Wednesday, the 13th of January 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Hi Josh,

thank you for your reply.

The newest firmware is installed on my SSD. I tried to reinstall the firmware, but unfortunately this is not possible. But I guess I also have to contact HP for further help with that.

Otherwise I will have to look at the data recovery.

Thanks again

Hello Manuel2,

Thank you for your reply.

We are glad to hear that you found the information we shared helpful; we will close this community thread. If you need further assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us back by opening a new thread.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Hi Josafath,

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same SSD and the same HP firmware (01)

I was backing up the data from my SSD to my network drive (via Wifi) when I got a "CRC file error" during the copy of my Outlook .pst file.

A few seconds later a bluescreen (BSOD) came.

And since then every reboot stops after the white HP sign with the message:

"Boot device not found.

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard disk - (3F0)."

And running the system diagnostics yiels "SMART passed. DST not available."

Just as you are describing it I can see a "1 GB SSD" (instead of 256 GB) when looking at the drive after booting a Windows PE from a USB stick.

It is a nightmare - I have never experienced such difficulties to recover data from the main storage device in a computer!  

My HP ProBook is from September 2018 - so it has just been about 3 years in operation.

Thanks and regards,

Manja

Never update the firmware on a failing drive before you try to recover your data because firmware update can destroy your data. The first rule of data recovery is do not write to the drive what you want to recover.