cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD optimizer finishes in 2 seconds

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi.

I'm using a 160 Gb G2 ssd with 2HD firmware on Windows 7 64 bit, AHCI. I had some problems with SATA drivers (lenovo update utility installed matrix storage 7.x which doesn't support TRIM) so I installed version 9.6 drivers. But I wanted to run the SSD optimizer (v1.3) to clean up after the old driver, but as soon as it starts it exits after 2 seconds. The result is passed and green, but i'm sure it didn't do anything. It has more than 100 Gb free space and according to SMART, 180 GB was written to it. I tried to run it with the old driver but it's the same.

Thanks

A.

16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, I double checked with disk editor, i can affirm with confidence: SSD Optimizer is NOT doing it's job! It's NOT doing anything at all!

Official support stated it's the expected behavior, I hope it's not... (they denied explaining the reason in technical terms)

Test method: i created a 100 Mb file with easily recognizable pattern in Win7, searched it with disk editor (winhex) confirmed it's there. I deleted the file from Win7 checked the same sector, it was full with zeroes. Searched the whole drive for the pattern in case of wear levelling moving it, it was not found. So trim is working perfectly in Win7.

Booted to XP, creating the same file, searching it with winhex, deleting it from XP, searching it again in winhex, the pattern was there. Booting to Win7 running SSD optimizer, exits in 2 seconds, jumping the same sector I mentioned under XP and the whole pattern is there. SSD optimizer is doing NOTHING!

So I ask again, are you sure this is the expected behavior?

I will probaly write my own ssd optimizer, by creating a file as big as free space and deleting it, but this is nonsense with a $500 flagship product...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't know if you took the following into account when doing your testing, since you didn't mention it, but if a deleted file is in the Windows Recycle Bin, it will not be deleted via TRIM, since those files are not yet marked as deleted by Windows.