cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD reporting incorrect free space

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an X25-M 80GB Mainstream SATA2 Solid State Drive on a Win7 (32) system. In "My Computer" it is reporting 3.52GB free of 74.5G. However, when I right click on the individual folders under the C: drive, they add up to only about 26GB.

Windows 12.4G

Users 6.06G

Program Files 7.7G

Misc - less than a Gig

Naturally, if I try and transfer a file >3.5GB, it says no space available.

Windows Disk Cleanup finds a few hundred Meg of junk.

What's going on here? Hardware issue? Windows issue? What diagnostics can I run?

Thanks,

Kyle

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How much RAM do you have installed? If Hibernation is enabled, it will take a significant portion of storage based on the RAM.

Try running WinDirStat: http://windirstat.info/ http://windirstat.info/

This will give you a nice treemap of your drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion. WinDirStat found that my loss of space was in Adobe Camera Raw Cache which was set at 40gb. I do not need that on the SSD.

Purging the cache fixed it - even though the settings for Cache in Lightroom was on E:

I have now gone from 20gb free to 60gb free on my 120gb SSD.

I am most grateful.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you have backup and restore enabled, you likely have many Windows "Restore Points" saved on your SSD. I'm not sure if those are listed in the Properties option you mention, unless "Show Hidden Files" is checked in the file/folder options.

In Disk Cleanup, the More Options tab allows you to delete all the System Restore points except the latest one. If you are Ok with that, you should click the Cleanup button on that tab, complete the Disk Cleanup, and then check your free space, it might help.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for both of the replies. HIbernation is not enabled (only 4G RAM anyways), and I did delete all old restore points which freed up a Gig or two.

Still very puzzled by this.

Thanks,

Kyle