Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD to disk on key

efeya
New Contributor

I have 32GB SSD drive and it not often in use

I would like to use it as disk on key

Can i do it? Is there adapters from sata to usb or something?

18 REPLIES 18

ENeto
New Contributor II

What kind of drive? Its a 2.5" inch SATA drive? It's a X25-E Series?

efeya
New Contributor

Its a 2.5" inch SATA drive

ENeto
New Contributor II

What series? What's written on the drive? Drives have different thickness, it can be 7mm or 9,5mm. You must make sure it will fit inside the case. Normally you will want an USB 3 case as it is backward compatible with USB 2. With USB 2 you will have a write performance of around 50MB/s, with USB 3 it can reach 200MB/s. As you cannot TRIM it, it will need to have enough overprovisioning space to work without degrade the write performance too much after being used. And theses values can drop depending of your drive.

DGond
New Contributor II

Just out of curiosity, is there some technical reason the Intel SSD Toolbox is not able to issue the trim command to an SSD connected to a USB port? Is something in the pipeline that would address this shortcoming...either in the OS or in the toolbox. Will the trim command work via an eSATA port?

Thanks.

ENeto
New Contributor II

It should work via an eSATA port because you are issuing ATA commands without translation. I don't know how windows do that, but in linux USB storage devices are normally treated as SCSI devices using the SCSI command set, where the SSD uses the ATA command set and this needs a translation. Seems that USB cases that only support BOT protocol doesn't support TRIM but cases that support UASP protocol maybe should. In practice I don't see anybody being able to TRIM a SSD through USB even using new USB cases with Asmedia chipsets that supports UASP. So, TRIM should work through eSATA and Thunderbolt but I did not saw anybody being able to do it through USB. Im not a hardware engineer nor a driver developer, and would not know to answer if its possible but just not implemented. Its not just the Intel SSD Toolbox that don't do that. Some USB cases are not able even to give you access to SMART attributes.