Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD to disk on key

efeya
New Contributor

I have 32GB SSD drive and it not often in use

I would like to use it as disk on key

Can i do it? Is there adapters from sata to usb or something?

18 REPLIES 18

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Queued TRIM is a feature part of the SATA revision 3.1 (ATA-8 specification).

ENeto
New Contributor II

Joe

How the garbage collection works? I can create a file, get its address, delete and sync and stay watching the address of the deleted file, after some minutes the content is still not trimmed, the file is still there. When tha garbage collection of Intel firmware take action? Its not when idle (I think if it would, it would be dangerous to disconnect a drive which filesystem is not mounted but the controller is doing maintenance so it takes action when the drive is being used).

As I said early some people say that TRIM doesn't make much difference if the SSD have overprovisioning to work and that SSDs with SandForce controllers normally have it by default.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

This is how it actually works:

After a file is deleted, the OS sends a TRIM command to the drive so the drive knows it can re-use the space previously used by the old file.

When the drive is idle, garbage collection will kick in to clean up and consolidate the space that is now marked as available.

ENeto
New Contributor II

This is how it works when the SSD is connected to the SATA channel and have TRIM enabled. Inside an USB case, even if the OS supports TRIM it cannot send that command to the drive. I will reformulate my question, how the garbage collection works in a drive inside an USB case that does not support TRIM?

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Garbage collection will work when the Intel® SSD is connected via USB; however, you will not see it as an immediate reaction, like when the TRIM command is sent over SATA.