cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD toolbox

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an intel SSD X25-M. After I installed the toolbox utility which was downloaded from intel website, it is showing the error connecting to the drive.

my motherboard chipset is nvidia 680i chipset (Asus P5N32-E Sli Plus). However, when i took it out of my PC into another PC, it works fine on that PC.

Could anyone tell me the reason? could it because of the sata or IDE controller in the bios?

17 REPLIES 17

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had a quick look the manual for your mobo and it looks like you don't have the option to set to AHCI. (Unless a newer bios update fixed it and its not been updated in the manual).

You can however set it to RAID, which should let a single drive operate in AHCI mode. (Page4-28)

To get the most out of your drive I would consider switching to an Intel ICH9/10 mobo. All SSD's (not just Intel drives) perform better on Intel controllers.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Finally, I found someone who can totally understand my situation. haha

That is what I am thinking but my motherboard is out of generation, I do not think that

Asus would release any new Bios for it. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it when I have time.

True, I know all SSDs perform better on Intel controllers. I wouldn't do the switching right now (might do it in the future).

Thanks anyway~

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You've already said your mobo has a RAID option. Intel advice is: 'If you are using a SATA hard drive, the best option is to set your BIOS to RAID mode. RAID mode provides the greatest overall flexibility and upgradeability because it allows your system to be RAID-Ready and also enables AHCI.'

Your Intel SSD will give you good performance but if you can be bothered to install your OS again set the BIOS to RAID and you'll get a performance increase from your SSD and your computer will speed up as well. Make sure you back all important data on your C drive before you do a fresh install of the OS. Good luck.

RGiff
Contributor

The SATA controller HAS to be set to AHCI before you install the OS. Changing after the OS is installed can be done BUT it involves some REGISTRY EDITING and if you are not comfortable doing the Reg. Edit , RE-Install the OS.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

"My motherboard did not have any ahci mode~

what else I can do?"

How can it be set to AHCI? Apparently there's been a mix-up.