cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD with Partitions question

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm planning on re-installing Windows 7 on a Intel 80gb SSD 2nd Gen.

I like to have my Operating system and programs on the C: partition and all the personal data on another partition.

This way, I can restore the C: drive entirely and all my personal Documents and email on the 😧 drive stay untouched during the restore.

I was planning on making a 60GB partition for Windows and Programs and a 20GB for the Users\(Username)\Documents, Users\(Username)\Desktop\ ... Users\(Username)\Favorites ... Etc.

The question I have is if there is ANY speed disadvantage of partitioning the 80GB into a 60GB partition and a 20GB partition? With a harddrive, when it is partitioned, the heads only access that area of the drive. But what happens with SSD? With wear-levelling features on SSD, wouldn't the writing to the drives be allocated to the same sectors no matter which partition one was actually writing to? I.E. If one writes to C: partition or 😧 partition, the wear levelling algorithm still writes the file to the same part of the SSD because it is the next least worn sector. The question is if having the partition itself will cause the SSD to slow down for another reason?

If anyone knows the answers to how partitions work on SSDs, please respond.

1 REPLY 1

vt5
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@Raidman, got the same understanding, if you write on SSD, OS will disregard the partition you've set and just look at the sector, with SSD having 4KB sector size, there might be chances of overlapping to another sector if the partition is not aligned therefore causing additional read,erase,write to 2 sector instead of 1 causing additional wear to that block