cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD writes are very slow, reads are somewhat slow

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the ssdsa2m080g2gc, firmware is 2CV102HD -- I recently ran windows rating thing, and my SSD scored the lowest of any of my compents, a 5.9... so I did some investigating -- turns out, my SSD is slow as molasses... at least, in comparison to other benchmarks I've seen of the same SSD.

Any ideas what the issue is?

AS SSD Benchmark results

CrystalDiskMark results

CrystalDiskInfo results:

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you all so much for you replies -- I've testing between IDE and AHCI, and AHCI is certainly faster, by about 1.5x in many areas -- the most improvement I got was from running the optimizer, however.

Final benchmark:

Unfortunately, it went down a bit after I rebooted, but it's still considerably faster than what it was before:

I'm going to try to free up some space, hopefully enough to make a difference.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks again.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

validatorian wrote:

Thank you all so much for you replies -- I've testing between IDE and AHCI, and AHCI is certainly faster, by about 1.5x in many areas -- the most improvement I got was from running the optimizer, however.

Switching to AHCI in your case gained you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing# NCQ_in_Solid-State_Drives NCQ capability. You appear to be running Windows 7, where TRIM works regardless if you're using the native Microsoft IDE driver or AHCI driver (truly -- it doesn't matter which, TRIM is an ATA data set management command, and will work on any device that supports TRIM regardless of driver type). The benchmarks you see in the link I provided in this paragraph are for a completely different model of drive and in a completely different environment. On an SSD you'll probably see a 10-15% speed gain with NCQ.

What probably did you the most benefit was running the Optimizer. Freeing up space and running the Optimizer again would do you well. Try to keep your SSD having as much free space as possible -- wear levelling will benefit the most from it, and you'll see the results in performance. If you want your drive to be restored to factory default condition, you should Secure Erase it (which will be difficult if it's your OS drive 🙂 ) then re-tune the system as you've already done.