cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe to install TRIM firmware on a blank/new drive?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a new 160GB x25M G2 drive and am wondering if i should go ahead and upgrade the firmware to the new one and then install windows 7 64bit.

I skimmed through the POLL thread and it seemed people who installed it on a clean drive seemed fine.

Is this the case? Did anyone have a busted drive by upgrading firmware on a blank/new drive?

Should I upgrade or just install win 7 with the existing firmware and then risk re-installing OS all over again just in case some future firmware sucks as much?

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You see the the thread with all the issues regarding win7 64 bit. You have a 50% chance of succeeding. You can't upgrade the firmware because Intel pulled it; unless you downloaded before the pulled it. Unless you are computer savy i would wait until Intel post the fix.

BTW, it is safe to install the firmware on a new drive, but i would be hesitant on using it with windows 7 given the issues.

MJohn29
New Contributor

Im in the same boat. My P55 build has been put on hold because of this. I am not going to install Win 7 x64 until I can upgrade the firmware in my new blank 160GB G2 for TRIM support. This really sucks since the build is complete and waiting for the OS install...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@Zorlac: I was in your situation since the 29th when my Windows 7 arrived, yesterday my patience ran out and I installed it from scratch anyway. So far, so good. No S.M.A.R.T. errors so far either. Obviously not saying it's safe to install on a new drive, it's most likely a huge gamble. I am using an Asus P55 motherboard along with an i5 750 CPU. SSD disk connected to SATA 0. Flashed in Enhanced IDE, switched to AHCI before installing Windows 7 (Home Premium) 64-bit.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@kott & Zorlac: Somewhat simular situation here, PC is running Vista x64 (but the installation is corrupt because it was intstalled with faulty memory). Firmware upgrade went fine and drive is still okay, but I can't use the PC fully until a new install. I was waiting for Windows 7 to arrive and now have it for sometime, but didn't dare to do the install.

I do not want to wait much longer, so I am going to attempt to do the install anyway (that is, unless I hear something back from Intel, but I don't think so). I'll let you know how it went. Plan to switch to AHCI, perhaps do HDDerase and a format, so the drive should be similar to an untouched one.