Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Safely Remove Hardware?

I recently got myself a G2 160GB and installed W7 Pro 64-bit. During the install, the SATA controller was set to IDE, and reading that TRIM was only auto-active using AHCI, I followed this guide: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 and went into the BIOS, changing it to AHCI. I also updated to the latest firmware after doing this. However, now the SSD shows up in Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media, and is a constant icon in the system tray. Why is this, and how do I stop it?

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Has no one encountered this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Do you have a Gigabyte motherboard? With my GA-EP45T-UD3P, using the standard Microsoft drivers under Windows 7, my primary system drive as well as my CD/DVD drive showed up in "Safely Remove Hardware" (my external ESATA drive only sporadically showed up there, though). I installed Intel's Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) and they stopped doing that (though that ESATA NEVER shows up, now -- I have to use HotSwap to shut down the drive). But, MSM doesn't support TRIM. So, until Intel fixes that, trying MSM might not be worth experimenting with.

Highlighted
Community Manager

I also had this, but it disappeared when I updated my driver with 'intel_rst_9.5.0.1037_whql.'

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

doakh, what was this update? where did you get this from? (I also have this SSD showing up in the 'safely remove' option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Does RST support auto-trim? As in does it TRIM when W7 tells it to?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

No, not yet anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I can live with the little icon if I have my auto-trim.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

As long as you don't click on the eject button of the SSD with the running OS on it, there is no problem whatsoever

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Oh, I've tried that. Just tells me the device is in use. (Yeah, I know, leap of faith and all that.)

0 Kudos