cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Erase on Intel 320 SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hi,

want to ask, how to perform a Secure Erase using hdparm from a linux boot medium. I'm using a Macbook Pro.

I've already done that many times with a Intel SSD Postville G2, never had a problem performing a Secure Erase.

But with the new 320 series, it just won't work. I can't set a password by using the command:

hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass pwd /dev/sda There's no error message or anything like that. It just takes some seconds.

Here's what i get after trying to set a password:

Security: Master password revision code = 65534 supported not enabled not locked not frozen not expired: security count supported: enhanced erase 2min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 2min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.

It shouldn't output "not enabled", right? "enabled" would be fine?

Hope anyone is willing to help me, thanks a lot in advance!

I really appreciate it.

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hi,

thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

As I said, I've done this several times with the G2 Postville 80GB SSD. Worked flawless.

It's /dev/sda for sure. The problem seems to be setting a password, which I can't. See Step2: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase and my 1st post.

Maybe it has something to do with this new AES feature?

I don't get any errors, nothing. The secure erase command took about 7min, was about 50s with the G2 SSD.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So when you say it took 7 min.. You actually got it to do a secure erase on the 320 series?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

exactly.

As I said, I'm able to type any command, which is necessary. And I don't get any error outputs.

The final secure erase command took about 7mins, but after it's finished, i look after my partitions with gparted and

everything is still there, all files etc. MacOSX will just reboot, as if nothing happened, just weird.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed my 320 today and tested it out and performed a secure erase sucessfully. I am assuming you are using Unbuntu via a CD to do this? Did you remember to type Sudo su before you did anything.. Also when I performa secure erase I pop in the Apple CD and erase my SSD first. Try that! let me know!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

will definitely try your suggestions, thanks. I'll let you know, as soon as possible.

btw: which mac are you using with your Intel 320 SSD? And how long does it take for you to secure erase your SSD?