cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure erase boot CD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As a notebook user (no second sata port) I would appreciate a secure erase boot CD (iso). I know I could use any Linux distro with hdparm, but official Intel ISO with such functionality would be preferred.

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I concur. This would be very cool if Intel could give us Secure Erase on an ISO, however it wouldn't do any good unless you can also delete the partitions from the CD boot as this is also required to use Secure Erase.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Correction: I can't do "secure erase" on my SSD with hdparm because of "frozen security". People suggest drive hotswap to unfreeze it but I'm not going to risk it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Frozen security issue : this may help

if your setup allows you to boot from a USB drive

Create a bootable USB using these 2 programs

HP USB tool

windows 98 boot files

place HD erase version 3.3 on root of the bootable USB stick (I change name to HDE to make it easier to execute from dos)

change your bios to boot the from USB stick and change ACHI to IDE in bios

unplug power from the SSD but keep the data plugged in

start PC and when you get to the

A:/ prompt plug the SSD power back in

and proceed as normal

you should no longer see the security freeze

I think only HDE 3.3 works with SSDs for some reasonIf anybody needs it and can't find it, PM me

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think a proper Boot CD with all the tools of the SSD Toolbox would be nice. I agree that for a proper Secure Erase ISO, tools to remove the partitions/volumes on the SSD should also be supplied. This should be designed for USB thumbdrives which can easily be booted on most motherboards. And then diskpart could easily be added by the user to the Thumbdrive I think.