Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

Serial number and EUI

JaclynFox
Beginner

Hey guys, so I was wondering if there' a way to pull up serial number via cmd or powershell. Using the command "wmic diskdrive get serialnumber" in cmd or the command "get-wmiobject win32_diskdrive | select serialnumber" both pull up what appears to be an EUI number. I have tried this with a different drive (albeit a different brand) and have confirmed that this is pulling up the EUI number, not the serial number. The number I'm getting back is a series of four quartets separated by underscores, which line up with the formatting of the drive that I have confirmed is reporting EUI as serialnumber. Is there possibly a different command I can use or a database where I can lookup the serial number by EUI? I have also tried "get-physicaldisk | select-object serialnumber" in powershell. They all pull back the EUI number.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JaclynFox,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you are requesting support on how to get the serial number from your SSD. If we inferred correctly, please review the following information:

We advise you to visit the Video on Intel® SSD Firmware Update and Health Monitoring Using Intel® Memory and Storage Tool (Intel® MAS) article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057393/memory-and-storage.html

•Check the SMART attributes of your Intel® SSDs and review them to have access to the serial number, and to see if they show any error, using this system or another system that recognize the drives:

*Please extract the following logs by using the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19520/intel-memory-and-storage-tool-cli-command-line-interface.html?wapkw=intel%252520mas%252520CLI

- SMART attributes: intelmas show -smart -intelssd “SSD_index”.

-The SSD information using show -all command from Intel MAS CLI: intelmas show -all -intelssd “SSD_index”.

A complete User Guide is available below (check section 3.4.3). Replace the “SSD_index” with the actual index number of your SSD.

User Guide:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/682012/CLI-Intel-MAS-1.11-User-Guide-Public-342245-013US.pdf

Please take into consideration that the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool is the only tool validated by us to check your SSD information and status.

Another option is to check the label printed on the SSD as explained on the Find Model, Serial, and SA Numbers for Intel® SSDs and Modules article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025532/memory-and-storage.html

For your third-party drives, we advise you to check with the drive manufacturer.

We will follow up with you again on Monday, the 15th of November 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JaclynFox.

Good day,

Regarding PowerShell and other methods to read the serial number, the one we provide/recommend is using the Intel Memory and Storage Tool (GUI or CLI), as previously mentioned by Jos_B, and some other Intel tools like Intel SSU and Intel RST can read this number too, even third-party tools, so it is not actually hidden from the system, but there are no instructions we can provide as it is beyond our scope of support.

With this being said, I will keep the thread open in case other community members would like to offer their input, and if I can try to assist you with anything else, just let me know, I will follow up again on November 15th.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JaclynFox
Beginner

Yeah, I'm not installing a third-party tool or any additional software. I'd have the user open the machine and read the label on the drive itself before installing unnecessary software. So far nobody has even addressed any of my questions, the questions being: "Why are powershell and command prompt both pulling up EUI when I poll serial number?" "Is there a command I am overlooking that could pull up the serial number?" "Is there a database that could get me the serial number by inputting the EUI number?" I suppose I'm not 100% sure what the EUI is even for.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JaclynFox.

Good day,

I completely understand, but this is not an actual method we use to obtain this type of information.

Searching online, as you may have already tried, I found a few threads from different sites with similar problems, with some users mentioning that this will vary depending on the SSD manufacturer, some users mention that it works, others mention that it does not, and get a similar result to the one you have described.

With PowerShell being a native Windows feature, it may be possible to present your inquiries to Microsoft to check if they can provide you with an appropriate answer, since from our side we can only recommend using our Intel SSD software, and you have already mentioned that this does not work work you.

Please check if you can contact them, and if there is anything I can try to do for you, please let me know, I will follow up on November 16th before closing the thread.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JaclynFox.

This post is to inform about the thread closure.

We previously shared that with this being related to PowerShell commands, the best option is to check with Microsoft for assistance, as we can only recommend the use of our specific SSD tools in order to obtain SSD information.

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread, or contact us via any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos