cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several issues I've compiled with Intel Turbo Memory

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

running Windows 7 x64 if that matters...

Looking for information on Intel Turbo Memory drivers working with newer Rapid Storage Technology drivers. Having ITM hinders any fixes for other issues with the deprecated Matrix Storage Manager.

I have issues with the Turbo Memory Dashboard showing randomly 100% full user pinning capacity when I've only had 15-45% used. My workaround I guess is to remove all pinned apps, then readd them.

It'll also leave programs pinned in it that have been uninstalled from the OS.

Does Turbo Memory user pinning conflict with other Readyboost devices also being utilized in Windows 7 (Windows 7 can support more than 1 Readyboost device)?

It would also be nice to see some intelligent pinning of known high I/O files.

At this point the whole technology seems flaky

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Indeed... I am currently in contact with a representative by the name "Maurice" who seems relunctant to help. He keeps trying to push me to find help to where I purchased the cards, (Prior to which he assumed I purchased them through an OEM like Dell or HP). The problem being that any hardware providers I have healt with on these cards wouldn't know anything about them except to replace them, which they aren't likely to be able to do since these cards seem to be out of circulation (at any of my hardware providers Newegg, Ingram Micro, Provantage...)...

I still have the sneaking suspision that Intel is trying to sweep these things under a very large rug, very quietly... I deal direct with those providers and a few others for hardware for custom high performance desktops, workstations, and servers. I have built so damn many since I've purchased these things, its hard to say where I got them. I have been trying to get help on them for nearly as long. You would think the bare least they could do is try and track them to a provider by serial number. But he did not even offer to go that far with them... -Makes me a sad panda...

-JBP.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Any product they market on their website as a separate product, offer up separate drivers on their website and doesn't solder onto a motherboard- rather screws in and has a label that says Intel on it... is not an OEM product in my book. Regardless, it's ridiculous that they can't put one of these on their home laptop, see how it works, and notice bugs themselves. Wouldn't you think Intel would be geek enough to think their product might be interesting enough to use themselves?

"Maurice", you may have won the argument and lost a customer of anything Intel. The F7000FC4UR server I bought my company 2 years ago is the last thing Intel coming through our doors.

There's too much of a coincidence here. Here's a response I got just now to my inquiry from yesterday:

From: mailto:SUPPORT.REPLIES@MAILBOX.INTEL.COM SUPPORT.REPLIES@MAILBOX.INTEL.COM [mailto:mailto:SUPPORT.REPLIES@MAILBOX.INTEL.COM SUPPORT.REPLIES@MAILBOX.INTEL.COM]

Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:52 PM To: Subject: {ticketno:[8000252260]} - Your Intel Customer Support Inquiry

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

Please note that the Intel Turbo Memory is not meant to be sold separately, only OEM manufacturers are entitled to provide and support this kind of memory.

I suggest you to contact the place of purchase since they are entitled to provide support to this product if any; we do not provide support to that Intel® product through this channel.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Maurice B.

======

Intel Customer Support

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My reply was identical:

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

Please note that the Intel Turbo Memory is not meant to be sold separately, only OEM manufacturers are entitled to provide and support this kind of memory.

I suggest you to contact the place of purchase since they are entitled to provide support to this product if any; we do not provide support to that Intel® product through this channel.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Maurice B.

======

Intel Customer Support

He's also the cut and paste master of form responses. I like your analogy better...

Make sure you fill out that follow-up survey they send you and tell them everything they did wrong. I know I spent about 10 minutes on it and I mentioned that instead of single selection bullets, that they give options for multiple selections. I mentioned pretty much what you said in your last post. This probably will not be my last product from Intel (their CPU's are just too damn powerful). But it will definitely make me triple check what others are saying about their products, and definitely add to my list of bitches regarding dealing with Intel support and will continue to tell others about this experience.

I had to return an SAS controller recently from a server. The rep. I dealt with via live chat seemed like he tried every which direction to skate around -not having to deal with it. But in the end he agreed that he had to support it, and the RMA went very smoothly from that point.

So, Maurice IS a gatekeeper of Gozer apparently.

RGiff
Contributor

Are you using a SSD , Because if you are Windows 7 will disable Readyboost if a ssd is detected.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

no. regular hard drive. Readyboost is disabled as it's a 4GB Turbo Memory module which adds user pinning & disables the ReadyBoost. I'm actually using both the ITM card and an additional 8GB sdhc card in a port on the laptop dedicated to ReadyBoost as Windows 7 can support more than one Readyboost device simultaneously.

All issues I've mentioned occur regardless of the 2nd readyboost drive present