cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be using Intel SSD Toolbox's Optimize feature?

OBloo
New Contributor

I have an intel 330 series SSD (intel ssdsc2ct180a3), and recently while optimizing it, it filled up my whole drive with 3gb TRIM files. The files went away however after optimzing it again.

But I wasn't sure what to make of this, so after researching TRIM a bit I read that modern operating systems may not need to use this feature because they do this already, and doing it excessively may wear down the drive. Is that true? Being on windows 8.1, do I need to regularly use the optimize function?

1 REPLY 1

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello User2156,

The Intel® SSD Optimizer uses TRIM command to remove deleted data files from NAND flash management blocks on the SSD, allowing the operating system to inform an SSD which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be deleted.

Windows* 7 and Windows* 8 natively implement Trim functionality, so you do not need to run the Intel SSD Optimizer in this configuration. Please take into consideration that this requires the standard Microsoft AHCI driver or Intel® RST driver version 9.6 or later, using drives in standard SATA configurations without RAID.

Running the optimizer manually wouldn't necessarily wear down the drive since any old data would eventually have to be deleted, however, it may not be required.

For more information please check pages 16-18 of the http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/intel_ssd_toolbox_30_user_guide.pdf Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox User Guide.