cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow SSD Intel X25-M G2 freezes for a second or two for every new folder/file created/deleted

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hi experts,

I have been using an Intel SSD for sometime now on my HP notebook using Windows7.

Off late it has been behaving frustratingly slow. Anytime I create a new folder or file, it'll freeze for a second or two, i can see a CPU spike at that moment and then the new folder gets created.

I'm already on the latest SSD Firware and using the latest Intel Raid Store Driver.

I have manually enabled DIPM in registry as well (Controller0).

Any recommendation, solution, fixes? Many Thanks for reading this.

Few details given below -

SYSTEM INFORMATION Computer ManufacturerHewlett-PackardComputer Model1488Operating System (O/S)Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate EditionOperating System Build (O/S)(build 7600), 64-bitOperating System (version)6.1.7600O/S Language0409System RAM7.8 GB.NET Framework Version3.5.30729.4926CD or DVD DeviceMagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000System Hard Drive OverviewSystem Total Storage Size:83.4 GBPhysical Drive0MakerINTELModelSSDSA2M080G2GCBus TypeSATASolid State Drive Firmware Version2CV102M3Local Disk C:74.4 GBUsed space:70.2 GBFree Space:4.2 GBPhysical Drive0MakerINTELModelSSDSA2M080G2GCBus TypeSATASolid State Drive Firmware Version2CV102M3Local Disk D:1022.0 MBUsed space:348.0 KBFree Space:1021.6 MBPhysical Drive0MakerINTELModelSSDSA2M080G2GCBus TypeSATASolid State Drive Firmware Version2CV102M3Local Disk Q:8.0 GBUsed space:6.5 GBFree Space:1.5 GBMemory DetailTotal Physical Memory7.8 GBAvailable Physical Memory4.7 GBTotal Virtual Memory2.0 GBInternet Browser [1]Internet ExplorerInternet Browser Version [1]9.0.8112.16421Internet Browser [2]FirefoxInternet Browser Version [2]3.6.16 (en-US)

<col style="width: 429pt;" width="572...
7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Looking at your stats from the Toolbox you are writing ~1GB of data per hour on average. (Power on hours count/ Host writes) That is quite high especially if you only have 4GB of free space.

If I were you I would free up some space, at least 25%, and then image the drive. Run a secure erase and then reinstall the image. You should be back to 100% performance.

Running with so little space causes problems for HDD or SDD regardless of brand.

I personally don't like to go much above 40% of capacity with static data on a drive with the OS installed on it.

If you are running Win 7 you can free up space by deleting restore points and then deactivating it. (Use the Win 7 system image (or any other app) for back up and put the image on a HDD).

Disable hibernation if you have a lot of RAM, as an equivalent amount of space will be reserved on the drive.

If you use hibernation or sleep it will generate loads of writes to the SSD. I use sleep and have noticed that ~1GB of data is written to the SSD before it goes into sleep mode. Hibernation would incur even more writes.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Redux, I did a Secure erase (HDDparm using Ubuntu live cd) and I'm back zooming.

Cheers

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Cool. Try to keep as much space free as possible going forward. If you are using Win 7 and your chipset supports TRIM there is no need to manually TRIM via the toolbox.