cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow X-25M G2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel X-25M G2 with firmware 02HA. The computer is a Dell XPS720 with nVidia 680i chipset. W7 x64 on the SSD. Also Vista on Raid 0 on the computer.

Originally I found out the SSD would not run acceptable on this motherboard//in conjunction with Raid 0, so I installed a U3S6 PCI-e x 4 controller card with SATA 6 GB/s and USB III in a PCI-e x 16 slot, and connected the SSD to that one. That worked better and the Intel Toolbox was able to run. I have never been too impressed by performance but have not had any real problem and have not bothered to benchmark. Now I replaced Photoshop CS4 by CS5 and found the program very slow. Also had reasons to copy a larger PS Lightroom db from my Vista disk to the SSD and this was slow.

Run a benchmark with quite a disappointing result. Would appreciate suggestions for where to start looking for the root cause of this.

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Whoops, it looks like AHCI is the default setting. I've just popped my U3S6 back in and this is what I get with the latest drivers from ASUS (on an ASUS mobo with an ICH9 Intel chipset). Note that the controller states "mv91xx". Your benchmark shows the default MS AHCI driver, which I should have picked up earlier. Sorry about that. Try updating to the latest ASUS driver and see what happens.

AS SSD Benchmark 1.5.3784.37609

------------------------------

Name: INTEL SS DSA2M160G2GC SCSI Disk Device

Firmware: 2CV1

Controller: mv91xx

Offset: 1024 K - OK

Size: 149.05 GB

Date: 17/08/2010 23:43:08

Sequential:

Read: 250.10 MB/s