idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After many test, here are the programs with most bytes written:

- Antivirus Software

- Firewall log file

- Some files belonging to my Firefox Profile are constantly written to

- C:\$LogFile

- Windows Temp Directory

After sym-linking some of those directories mentioned above to another hard drive, I did another test. In this test, I let Process Monitor record for 12 hours. I was not using the computer at all. Total Written Bytes where approx. 1.5GiB, Intel Toolbox recorded 4,44GiB. This might be due to physical disk sector size.

Now, the two Folders taking most written bytes to are Virus Scanner and Windows Temp directory. I thought about redirecting the Virus Scanner folder but need to measure the system impact before I'll do that.

Jens

Original Post for reference:

Owning two 128GB SSDs, both suffer the same phenomenon: Even if I do nothing, the host writes value increases very fast.

Both SSDs are in different computers (both Win 7 x64). One computer is switched on 24x7. After 150 hours my host writes value is at about 0.5 TB. What I tried to track the issue down:- relocate database writes to another harddrive (with junction points)- ended all running programs- ended some services (like firewall and virus scanning) With Process Monitor and a filter for "Operation contains Write" and "Path start with C:\" many events are captured, but data written from all events is not even close to some megabytes per minute. Do I have to worry about this? Warranty is for about 35TB I read, so I might be there very soon.... Can someone help me, please? Jens Edit: Host Writes seems to increase in minimum steps of 60MB. And only once a minute.
16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Jenson, I recently read that Win 7 will create a Restore point every time the PC is booted. I don't know if that is accurate, but that may be contributing to your Host Writes. Then there is Pagefile, that is equal to the amount of DRAM you have, but is that written on each boot?

Ckryan, perfect examples of why SMART data can be totally random. When firmware can be programmed to write values to the SMART data whenever it is so inclined, where is the consistency? I am well aware that SMART data is totally inconsistent between manufactures and devices, which is why I don't pay much attention to it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
Hi parsec.First thing I do on my computer, is to disable Restore Points. I do images on a weekly basis and if my system is wrecked I can go back easily. That does affect the written bytes counter. 🙂 But usually this takes place not more then once every six month. The Pagefile resides on another drive. This 'habit' is something I'm used to since like Windows 2000? Though I don't know if this is still some good advice.