cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected Bug in DC S3500 Firmware relating to ATA Security Behaviour?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi there,

I am trying to evaluate the security features of the DC S3500 SSD, being used as a data drive in a Linux host system.

In particular, I use the hdparm tool to set the ATA user password and master password, and then from a cold boot I use hdparm again to unlock the drive before mounting any filesystem (once the password has been set, the drive will always be in a 'locked' state from a cold boot).

The suspected bug occurs when I use power saving modes on the host system, for example:

1. Cold boot the system (after setting the ATA user password using hdparm)

2. The drive is in a 'locked' state as expected, so it is unlocked using hdparm with the ATA user password.

3. Mount the filesystem.

4. Put the system to sleep (S3 suspend using either the power button with the appropriate systemd configuration, or alternatively the pm-suspend command)

5. Some time later, wake the system from sleep (using the power button)

Expected state of the drive after wake: 'not locked' (since it was 'not locked' before initiating sleep)

Actual state of the drive after wake: 'locked' (and so the previously mounted filesystem will not be accessible!)

This is a problem, since the hdparm tool would have to be used to unlock the drive every time the system wakes from sleep, and the filesystem re-mounted!

For comparison, I changed the steps above slightly so that the system has a warm boot at step 4, instead of sleep. After the warm boot, the state of the drive is 'not locked', as I would expect; this behaviour is different when compared to the behaviour for a sleep-wake cycle, which is why I think that behaviour is a bug (in the firmware perhaps).

Note: I am using the latest firmware, revision 0370 from 11th Feb 2014.

I would be grateful for any comments from Intel engineers on the above; if it is confirmed as a bug, how should I report it formally?

Many thanks

Alex.
13 REPLIES 13

I am checking with engineering. Sorry for the delay but I thank you for the feedback provided.

Kevin M

Hi alza,

Sorry for the delay on coming back to you.

Based on our research and investigation, this motherboard does not support ATA passwords so setting a password on a system that is not designed to support that feature will lead to unexpected results.

We have extensively tested the ATA password feature on our drives and it works correctly on systems that also support ATA passwords.

Kevin M

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Kevin,

Ok thanks for investigating, fair enough regarding the lack of support for ATA passwords on the S1200V3RPL board.

Although that leads me to ask, do any of the current Intel server board models officially support the ATA password feature for the onboard SATA ports?

If not, it leads me to ask, how am I able to correctly use the encryption features of the DC S3500 (without having to spend a considerable additional amount of money on an Intel/LSI hardware raid controller, plus additional money for the encryption upgrade key?)

Thanks

Alex.

I am really sorry to give bad news on this but we do not have a Server board at this point that support ATA password and the solution for this would be to use the TPM module or use a raid card with support for this feature.

Kevin M