cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System freezes after SRT acceleration enabled

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm looking for guidance or suggestions to a problem that has me stumped. Last week I built a new system based on the Asus P8Z68-V with Intel 311 SSD for Smart Response Technology (SRT) caching. When the SRT is disabled the system is rock-solid stable, and it passes stress tests perfectly. However, shortly after I enable SRT the system begins to intermittently freeze then it becomes 100% non-responsive, which in turn requires a hard-reset. There are no entries in the event log that indicate there was a problem with Windows.

When I first built the system I put both the Intel 311 SSD and accelerated HHD on the two available SATA III ports. About 15 minutes after I first enabled SRT the system began to intermittently freeze, then it completely locked up. After a hard-reset the system would come back up for a few minutes, and then it would freeze again. I did this cycle a few times with the same results, but once I disengaged SRT everything worked normally again. I ran extensive stress tests (Prime95 and Memtest 86+) and found no problems with any components. I then reformatted the HHD, reset the SSD, moved both the SSD and HHD from SATA III ports to SATA II ports, and rebuilt the OS. Once again, about 10-15 minutes after I first engaged SRT the system began to randomly freeze and eventually locked up. Subsequent hard-resets led to similar lockups within minutes. But once I disengage SRT everything works perfectly again. I'm at a loss. I'm looking for additional trouble shooting techniques or guidance as to whether or not to RMA the mobo and/or SSD. Have I missed something? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tobster

System:

Asus P8Z68-V (BIOS v. 0501 and Intel RST v. 10.5.0.1027) I5 2500K (no OC)8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (no OC)Western Digital Caviar 1TB WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (accelerated HHD)Intel 311 20GB SSD (cache)Two Samsung 500GB Spinpoint HHDs in RAID 1 (media files w/ backup)EVGA GTX 570Corsair 850W PSOS Windows 7 x64 SP1 w/ all updates
14 REPLIES 14

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's not only a ASUS issue, I have Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD which come with Intel mSATA SSD and when I turn on accelaration I have the same issue.

System Info:

OS name: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional OS version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 7601System name: System manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.System model: Z68XP-UD3-iSSDProcessor: GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 3.601 GHzBIOS: Award Software International, Inc., F7

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Kit installed: 10.6.0.1002User interface version: 10.6.0.1002Language: English (Australia)Intel RAID controller: Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID ControllerNumber of SATA ports: 6RAID option ROM version: 10.6.0.1091Driver version: 10.6.0.1002ISDI version: 10.6.0.1002

Name: Array_0001

Size: 19 GBAvailable space: 0 GBDisk data cache: EnabledNumber of volumes: 1Volume member: Volume_0000Number of disks: 1Array disk: CVLC121300DT020

Disk on port 0

Port location: InternalStatus: NormalType: Hard diskUsage: AvailableSize: 932 GBSerial number: 6VPGPNM0Model: ST31000524ASFirmware: JC4BSystem disk: Yes Password protected: NoDisk data cache: EnabledNative command queuing: Yes SATA transfer rate: 6 Gb/sPhysical sector size: 512 BytesLogical sector size: 512 Bytes

Based on Post's it looks like there is no fix to the problem?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I can't be sure that my problems are the same, or even related to SRT, but I am in the process of building 3 new workstations based on the same Gigabyte board as mentioned in the previous post. We are using it 2700k processors, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, Corsair 120GB SSD drives for the main drive and a local storage drive which is a SATA3 drive. This latter drive is the one that SRT was accelerating with the onboard SSD drive.

The PSUs are Corsair Gold series 850W pro models and the systems are running very cool. Graphics cards are ASUS Nvidia 480GTX cards in each machine with 2GB memory.

We are getting random system crashes/freezes on both the machines I have built so far (one still remaining). Identical config on each machine, and I have troubleshooted just about everything I can think of.

I am now going to try disabling SRT on both machines and see if stability improves.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

By turning off RAID 1, acceleration works fine. Only when you enable both RAID 1 & disk acceleration, even of different HDD's does the instability occur. I have contacted Gigabyte and Intel. After inital brush off from Gigabyte they said you cant have acceleration and RAID 1, but they will check with Intel. Intel have not responded to my query.

I would suggest the Z68 chip set has design fault.

RFren1
New Contributor

I also am having an issue with the system locking up while accelerating the OS drive and using RAID1 on a data volume.

I have upgraded to RST 11.6.0.1030 & haven't had the system lock up yet, but it's only been an hour.

Just wondering if this is still a known issue or if there is a patch yet?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi guys, I'm H67 chipset Gigabyte board owner. I had RAID 5 + 1 SSD 60GB - it was deleting all the files on it and it become unusable after some time. I changed this drive to SanDisk ReadyCache SSD drive and issues are the same, it makes a buffering and then it deletes the hole SSD, turns it off in BIOS (after hard reset it comes back) and system becomes unusable (TIP: you can turn off your SSD caching device on the fly to unfreeze system ) . Do you have any news from your Caching devbices? Is changing mainboard or chipset is the only way to make it work? I use computer in proffesional purposes so actualy Intel is NOT a proffesional company if they cannot make it work with hotfixes (which I installed all:/) . I guess IR makes problems, not chipset, or am I wrong?