cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM is not active without optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Appreciate any corrections to the following:

Per Intel, "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."

And, since SSD Optimizer is part of the Intel SSD Toolbox, those of us with new G2 SSDs cannot utilize TRIM until the SSD Toolbox download is available.
53 REPLIES 53

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Win 7 does not do the "trimming".

Win 7 passes deleted file info to SSD Optimizer when requested to do so. SSD Optimizer does the "trimming".See http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667

From: intel_ssd_toolbox_fqa.pdf"The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

To Czz:

"TRIM" is a SATA command. As the previous posts stated. If you have WINDOWS 7 and the appropriate MSAHCI driver, then you do not have to use the toolbox.

Windows 7 is THE ONLY OS at this time that passes the "TRIM" command to the SSD drive via the OS driver, NOT THE TOOLBOX. The driver then pases the command to the SSD. If the SSD firmware recognizes the command, then it will execute the command.

The TOOLBOX implements the TRIM command also. If the toolbox is mandatory to execute TRIM on a compliant Operating System, then Intel would have said that. They didn't.

Please Read you last post. Did Intel say this "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements trim functionality IN WINDOWS 7" No. the instructions said the TOOL implements TRIM functionality. Why? The toold needs to implement the TRIM functionality because Windows Vista and XP do not pass the "TRIM" command, therefore, in order to have this functionality work in VISTA and XP, one must use the toolbox

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Read Intel's white paper on the SSD Optimizer and then post your comments:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-030992.htm

From that document:

"When using the latest Microsoft Windows* 7 operating system with Microsoft AHCI storage drivers the OS will contain native support to execute the Intel® SSD Optimizer on an Intel SSD without requiring any user interaction"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

From Intel's white paper:

When using the latest Microsoft Windows* 7 operating system with Microsoft AHCI storage drivers the OS will contain native support to execute the Intel® SSD Optimizer on an Intel SSD without requiring any user interaction.

Microsoft Windows* 7 

Microsoft* AHCINative OS support (Intel® SSD Toolbox not required)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Can someone help me out with some Trim information.

My board is a XFX 790i Ultra SLI that has a Nvidia chipset. I'm not using and didn't installed any Nvidia chipset drivers cause I would run into issues with the SSD, as Nvidia drivers were not meant to be used with SSD. Nvidia no longer produces chipsets.

So, I've only installed the Microsoft drivers that came with Windows 7 Home Premium X64 (brazilian version). I'm using the IDE/ATAPi drivers, Microsoft Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. Those are the drivers that I'm using for the SSD and my secondary hard disks. I've read a lot about SSD before installing it and I was aware not to se any Nvidia driivers. So, I guess I'm in the right foot.

So, Do I still need to use Intel Tool Box using Windows 7 with dual channel PCI IDE controllers??? I'm not using the Microsoft Matrix drivers, the ones that should not implement Trim functionality. I'm not sure if my Nvidia board has AHCI support, but when I look at my storage controllers, I see one Standard AHCI 1.0 serial ATA controller and and 4 Standard Dual Channel PCI-IDE controllers.

I'm not sure if these drivers are the ones that implement Trim functinality within Windows 7?? Also, I'm not sure if my board supports AHCI either. Are we using the same Microsoft drivers, do we still need to run Intel Tool Box??

BTW, yesterday I've run the Intel Tool Box optimizer for the 1st time. It took only a few seconds to run the optimizer and after that it was all green!!!!! I guess no problem at all running Trim. But I would like to know If I still need to run Intel Tool Box manually or If Windows 7 will do this automatic for me??

How do we know Win 7 is "trimming" , do we see a message saying Trim under progress or stuff like that??? At least with Intel Tool Box we see the Trim process.

I have the Intel G2 160GB SSD , using 02HD firmware and Intel Tool Box version 1.3.

The picture shows the drivers I'm currently using with Win 7 x64.