cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM is not active without optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Appreciate any corrections to the following:

Per Intel, "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."

And, since SSD Optimizer is part of the Intel SSD Toolbox, those of us with new G2 SSDs cannot utilize TRIM until the SSD Toolbox download is available.
53 REPLIES 53

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've had intel 160GB G2 for 5 months now. Its in a G73JH. When I first got i I updated the system uncluding the SSD to the O2HD. I read about MSM and RST it originally came in MSM but that didn't do anything for trimming. I waited for weeks to see if it done anything using perfectdisk analyze. I tried out the default window 7 regular msachp whatever it is spelled. For few weeks to see if it trims nothing. I tried out the RST that didn't work either. I checked the command prompt to see if trim was working. It say it does I tried using the toolbox recently 1.3 and it states "Cannot run the Intel SSD optimizer on raid configurations. Optimizes Intel 34nm sd including trim functionality. Latest firmware must be installed for this tool to function. Please note this tool will not work with 50nm ntel ssds" I read the document it states My system wouldn't allow it because it is my system is set as AHCI and the Native OS support. Intel toolbox isnt required. I checke the bios and it is on AHCI. I made sure several times looked at it. I dont know where to look now...I just want to know if I could just get trim to work.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Instead of quoting what microsoft said and did not say, is there a way to prove that trim is working with just msahci.sys?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is my understanding that for the Microsft AHCI driver to be active you must make the appropriate registry entry listed at the Microsoft link below. Is this correct?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

How do you know that TRIM is being passed to the Intel Controller automatically, any way to find this information?

Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Your understanding is not correct. Install Windows 7 with BIOS set to AHCI and you will have the msahci.sys driver. The registry hack is if you installed Windows 7 with AHCI disabled and want to enable AHCI in BIOS.