cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

TRIM is not active without optimizer

Appreciate any corrections to the following:

Per Intel, "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."

And, since SSD Optimizer is part of the Intel SSD Toolbox, those of us with new G2 SSDs cannot utilize TRIM until the SSD Toolbox download is available.
53 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Thats not true, you can utilize TRIM in windows 7 using standart microsoft driver (msahci)

idata
Community Manager

Then explain Intel's comment: "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."

idata
Community Manager

Does using the Microsoft driver mean that I shouldn't load the Intel chipset drivers? I'm using an Intel DX58SO board.

idata
Community Manager

The chipset driver is not your storage driver. We are talking about Intel Matrix Storage driver. The current IMSM driver does not support passthrough of the Trim command. You will need to use the native MS AHCI driver to get Trim support in Win7 today. The next rev of IMSM coming out early next year will have support for Trim included

idata
Community Manager

¿como se puede activar el optimizer?

idata
Community Manager

Mi pagina Principal no esta activado el optimizer. Y como le puedo activar?

idata
Community Manager

More definitive info:

So, apparently, we do need the Toolbox download to implement TRIM in Windows 7.

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h3 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:.35in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:3; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-weight:normal;} h4 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:.35in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:4; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-weight:normal;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:# 003366; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --><!--[if gte mso 10]> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:# 0400; mso-fareast-language:# 0400; mso-bidi-language:# 0400;} <![endif]-->Per Intel's white paper:

Intel's white paper:

http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/434471_intel_ssd_optimizer_white_paper.pdf

The Intel® SSD Optimizer takes advantage of the new DATA SET MANAGEMENT command now available in the ATA8-ACS-2 specification.

Without the Intel® SSD Optimizer, the performance of the drive will begin to slow as it fills.

Any 34nm Intel® X25-M or X18-M solid-state drives running firmware version 02HA or later will contain support for the Intel® SSD Optimizer.

idata
Community Manager

Operating System

Storage Driver

Execution Environment

Microsoft Windows* 7

Microsoft* AHCI

Native OS support (Intel

® SSD Toolbox not required)

Microsoft Windows 7

Intel

® Matrix Storage Manager**

Intel

® SSD Toolbox required

Microsoft Windows Vista* or XP

Microsoft AHCI or Intel

® Matrix Storage Manager

Intel

<font face="Neo Sans Intel,Neo Sans Inte...
idata
Community Manager

Look at the heading in the third column: "Execution Environment"

IMO: there is no [manual] execution of Intel's Toolbox required as Win 7 has "Native OS support"

idata
Community Manager

just put "ms ahci" or "msahci" into the search field on the right up corner (Community Search) and press search. You will find all answers needed.

idata
Community Manager

If you are using Windows 7, no RAID, and have the msahci.sys driver listed for your SATA AHCI controller, then running the optimizer is not needed--TRIM will function automatically.

idata
Community Manager

The Intel SSD Optimizer is a tool that implements trim command. It was primarily developed for users of Windows XP and Vista OS of which know nothing about trim. Win7 has built in support to execute trim command and therefore the Intel SSD Optimizer is not needed (assuming you are using the MSAHCI driver). The one caveat today where Win7 users will have to rely upon the Intel SSD Optimizer to get trim functionality is if they are using the current Intel IMSM driver which does not support passthrough of the command. The next release of Intel's driver expected to be released by early next year will have support for trim.

idata
Community Manager

(notice my capitalization on key words: executed and support)

Beginning of quoting.

After the Intel® SSD Optimizer has EXECUTED in Figure 2, the SSD now shares the same view of deleted files as the OS file system.

Any 34nm Intel® X25-M or X18-M solid-state drives running firmware version 02HA or later will contain SUPPORT for the Intel® SSD Optimizer.

When using the latest Microsoft Windows* 7 operating system with Microsoft AHCI storage drivers the OS will contain native SUPPORT to EXECUTE the Intel® SSD Optimizer on an

Intel SSD without requiring any user interaction.

End of quoting.

So, Intel's SSD Optimizer is required to have TRIM

idata
Community Manager

This section of the whitepaper is poorly worded.

"Any 34nm Intel® X25-M or X18-M solid-state drives running firmware version 02HA or later will contain SUPPORT for the Intel® SSD Optimizer. When using the latest Microsoft Windows* 7 operating system with Microsoft AHCI storage drivers the OS will contain native SUPPORT to EXECUTE the Intel® SSD Optimizer on an Intel SSD without requiring any user interaction."

Replace "Intel SSD Optimizer" with "Trim" and it will read correctly. Table 1 in the whitepaper is accurate in detailing when you need to use the Toolbox/Optimizer to get trim support. The ONLY time you need the Toolbox/Optimizer to get trim suport in Win7 is when using Intel Matrix Strorage Driver. If using MSACHI driver Win 7 will automatically do the trimming for you.

idata
Community Manager

Win 7 does not do the "trimming".

Win 7 passes deleted file info to SSD Optimizer when requested to do so. SSD Optimizer does the "trimming".

See http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667

"The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."
idata
Community Manager

To Czz:

"TRIM" is a SATA command. As the previous posts stated. If you have WINDOWS 7 and the appropriate MSAHCI driver, then you do not have to use the toolbox.

Windows 7 is THE ONLY OS at this time that passes the "TRIM" command to the SSD drive via the OS driver, NOT THE TOOLBOX. The driver then pases the command to the SSD. If the SSD firmware recognizes the command, then it will execute the command.

The TOOLBOX implements the TRIM command also. If the toolbox is mandatory to execute TRIM on a compliant Operating System, then Intel would have said that. They didn't.

Please Read you last post. Did Intel say this "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements trim functionality IN WINDOWS 7" No. the instructions said the TOOL implements TRIM functionality. Why? The toold needs to implement the TRIM functionality because Windows Vista and XP do not pass the "TRIM" command, therefore, in order to have this functionality work in VISTA and XP, one must use the toolbox

idata
Community Manager

Read Intel's white paper on the SSD Optimizer and then post your comments:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-030992.htm

From that document:

"When using the latest Microsoft Windows* 7 operating system with Microsoft AHCI storage drivers the OS will contain native support to execute the Intel® SSD Optimizer on an Intel SSD without requiring any user interaction"
idata
Community Manager

From Intel's white paper:

When using the latest Microsoft Windows* 7 operating system with Microsoft AHCI storage drivers the OS will contain native support to execute the Intel® SSD Optimizer on an Intel SSD without requiring any user interaction.

Microsoft Windows* 7 

Microsoft* AHCI

Native OS support (Intel® SSD Toolbox not required)
idata
Community Manager

Can someone help me out with some Trim information.

My board is a XFX 790i Ultra SLI that has a Nvidia chipset. I'm not using and didn't installed any Nvidia chipset drivers cause I would run into issues with the SSD, as Nvidia drivers were not meant to be used with SSD. Nvidia no longer produces chipsets.

So, I've only installed the Microsoft drivers that came with Windows 7 Home Premium X64 (brazilian version). I'm using the IDE/ATAPi drivers, Microsoft Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. Those are the drivers that I'm using for the SSD and my secondary hard disks. I've read a lot about SSD before installing it and I was aware not to se any Nvidia driivers. So, I guess I'm in the right foot.

So, Do I still need to use Intel Tool Box using Windows 7 with dual channel PCI IDE controllers??? I'm not using the Microsoft Matrix drivers, the ones that should not implement Trim functionality. I'm not sure if my Nvidia board has AHCI support, but when I look at my storage controllers, I see one Standard AHCI 1.0 serial ATA controller and and 4 Standard Dual Channel PCI-IDE controllers.

I'm not sure if these drivers are the ones that implement Trim functinality within Windows 7?? Also, I'm not sure if my board supports AHCI either. Are we using the same Microsoft drivers, do we still need to run Intel Tool Box??

BTW, yesterday I've run the Intel Tool Box optimizer for the 1st time. It took only a few seconds to run the optimizer and after that it was all green!!!!! I guess no problem at all running Trim. But I would like to know If I still need to run Intel Tool Box manually or If Windows 7 will do this automatic for me??

How do we know Win 7 is "trimming" , do we see a message saying Trim under progress or stuff like that??? At least with Intel Tool Box we see the Trim process.

I have the Intel G2 160GB SSD , using 02HD firmware and Intel Tool Box version 1.3.

The picture shows the drivers I'm currently using with Win 7 x64.

idata
Community Manager

I've had intel 160GB G2 for 5 months now. Its in a G73JH. When I first got i I updated the system uncluding the SSD to the O2HD. I read about MSM and RST it originally came in MSM but that didn't do anything for trimming. I waited for weeks to see if it done anything using perfectdisk analyze. I tried out the default window 7 regular msachp whatever it is spelled. For few weeks to see if it trims nothing. I tried out the RST that didn't work either. I checked the command prompt to see if trim was working. It say it does I tried using the toolbox recently 1.3 and it states "Cannot run the Intel SSD optimizer on raid configurations. Optimizes Intel 34nm sd including trim functionality. Latest firmware must be installed for this tool to function. Please note this tool will not work with 50nm ntel ssds" I read the document it states My system wouldn't allow it because it is my system is set as AHCI and the Native OS support. Intel toolbox isnt required. I checke the bios and it is on AHCI. I made sure several times looked at it. I dont know where to look now...I just want to know if I could just get trim to work.