cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM support for Mac OS X?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When are you planing TRIM support for Mac OS X?

18 REPLIES 18

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks!

Just puzzling why Diglloyd's recommendation isn't just a zero erase, as you suggest. He seems to think there is more to it.

Any comment on his article?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I read his article. Using "diskutility" by itself will not work because it uses zeros. A secure erase uses "1s" which means that it baslically writes to the whole disk. He is using DiskTester which writes the "1s", then he uses diskutility to erase, then restore. I not williing to test to see if it works, but I do know using hdparm to secure erase the disk does the job. It is baslically 1 command vs 3 commands(i.e. diskutility to erase, then write 1s to fill up drive, then diskutility to erase again)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

dbm wrote:

I read his article. Using "diskutility" by itself will not work because it uses zeros. A secure erase uses "1s" which means that it baslically writes to the whole disk. He is using DiskTester which writes the "1s", then he uses diskutility to erase, then restore. I not williing to test to see if it works, but I do know using hdparm to secure erase the disk does the job. It is baslically 1 command vs 3 commands(i.e. diskutility to erase, then write 1s to fill up drive, then diskutility to erase again)

Thanks, sorry for delay in replying!

So the diglloyd/Disktester method is sound but less convenient than hdparm?

I have used the Disktester successfully, and while it may be less convenient, I am on more familiar territory, so will probably stick with it for now.

[url=http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?&t=841182]HERE [/url]is another method which sounds close yours.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Actually I think I have just realised a better way, for me.

1. Clone mac boot to external.

2. Boot from my mac utilities drive

3. Format mac boot drive as NTFS (can do as I have NTFS for Mac installed, but FAT 32 would have worked)

4. Boot to Vista Bootcamp partition

5. Run Toolbox

6. Boot to Mac Utilities drive.

7. Format mac boot drive back to GUID/HFS+

8. Clone back from external

I have just done it and my random write performance (Quickbench) which had dropped to about 40% of new is recovered.

Actually what I just did also included a Disktester recondition as well, but just after doing it I realised I could have done the above so did that as well. But next time I will skip Disktester obviously.

I could probably have gone straight from step 1 to step 3 as I have MacDrive in Vista so it sees the mac drives.

Any comment? snags I have missed?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That's a lot of steps and it requires the purchase and installation of a second operating system. It's not really support for OS X, but rather a way to bypass OS X and use Windows to run TRIM. It also requires a third-party hack (NTFS for OS X).

I think this series of steps underscores the great importance of Intel releasing even a simple command-line OS X utility for TRIM.