cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM support for Mac OS X?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When are you planing TRIM support for Mac OS X?

18 REPLIES 18

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I agree. Macs aren't ready for SSD and if I could turn the clock back I wouldn't have jumped on the SSD bandwagon until some proper support from either Apple or Intel is available.

That said the interim workarounds aren't quite as bad as they appear when you write them down step by step. NTFS for Mac is not essential. I formatted to NTFS because I could. I could have formatted to FAT and it Windows would have seen it. The Disktester option doesn't require a second OS and can be done all within OSX.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The issue here is not "How can I deal with there being no TRIM tool for OS X, or OS-level support of an automated variety?" It's not "What clunky work-arounds can I employ since Intel hasn't made available a way to implement the command in OS X?"

The issue here is "When is Intel going to support TRIM in OS X?"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I should mention that a number of Mac users at my university including myself are holding off purchasing Intel SSDs until an OS X Trim utility or other form of support is made available.

We would love to buy these products once their full level of functionality is supported.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

r_smith,

Your blame is partially mis-blamed. Yes. Intel would need to support the HFS filesystem, but it is Apple that must implement the "trim" command in their driver as Microsoft has done. The SSD will not TRIM unless the OS passes the command or unless Intel makes a utility to TRIM the SSD as they have done XP and VISTA which do not support TRIM at the OS level. So the question is when is Apple going to support TRIM in OSX. The Intel SSD might be already be able to handle the HFS filesystem, but I doubt it. NO SSD vendor has guranteed OSX trim capability that i'm aware of.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

dbm wrote:

....unless Intel makes a utility to TRIM the SSD as they have done XP and VISTA which do not support TRIM at the OS level.

OS-level support is ideal, but not the acceptable minimum. The utility would definitely be an acceptable minimal support solution.

dbm wrote:

So the question is when is Apple going to support TRIM in OSX.

After Intel provides a utility, certainly. Apple is not the device manufacturer. It seems to me that the primary responsibility rests with the manufacturer of a product to support that product in popular operating systems. Of course, it's also Apple's responsibility to cooperate with device makers such as Intel.

NO SSD vendor has guranteed OSX trim capability that i'm aware of.

TRIM functionality is critical for desktop SSD use in my opinion. If it's offered in Windows, it should be offered in OS X, at least in the form of a utility. I believe it is Intel's best interest, as well as the computing community, to release an OS X utility, at least until it can work with Apple to get OS-level support.