cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM under XP

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I have bought a X25-V and i'm under XP, how to activate TRIM ?

what is his advantage ? i know TRIM is used by defaut on Windows7....

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The speed is in all case better than with NVDIA drivers...i hasn't seen big differences between TRIM ON and TRIM OFF...

in all cases HTH

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You won't see any differences with TRIM enabled/disabled until you make the SSD "dirty".

You need to pound the SSD with massive numbers of random writes then run some write benchmarks. This simulates months of disk usage and creates dirty blocks. TRIM is to help prevent dirty blocks.

Note, that massive number of random writes will reduce the lifespan of the SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok folks, you're losing me here. The original post asked how to "activate TRIM" in Windows XP.

It could be assumed from the replies that it is possible to activate TRIM in XP. Is that not false?

Of course one can manually run TRIMs with the Toolbox, and that's just fine, but I don't consider that "activating" TRIM, as in enabling the OS to send a TRIM command. Since when can that be done in XP?

Also, DuckieHo, aren't you saying that for TRIM to work the SSDs firmware should be at least 02HA, and could also be 02HD?

Message was edited by: parsec

Message was edited by: parsec

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hello,

if i well understood, TRIM permit to keep a list of "HD bad sectors" ? i will open a new thread

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You are correct, if you meant that TRIM provides the LBAs of deleted files, not necessarily "bad sectors". Since HDDs and SSDs work differently internally, SSDs need to be informed which files are no longer valid (deleted/obsolete) so those blocks can be made available again by being reset to the SSDs notion of empty/available. HDDs do not need that information, thus no need for an OS to send it. The TRIM command was created to pass that information to SSDs. Windows 7 was the first OS to send TRIM commands to SSDs, and now a few others do too.

Windows XP has not been updated to send TRIM, and neither has Vista AFAIK. The Intel SSD Toolbox was created to send TRIM commands to their SSDs when that function is invoked from the Toolbox. The Toolbox does not "turn on" or activate TRIM within an OS, an OS is either TRIM capable or it isn't. I suppose it would be possible for a Windows Update or Service Pack installation to add the TRIM capability to their OSs, but that has not happened and may not be possible for some reason.