cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM under XP

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I have bought a X25-V and i'm under XP, how to activate TRIM ?

what is his advantage ? i know TRIM is used by defaut on Windows7....

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

parsec wrote:

Ok folks, you're losing me here. The original post asked how to "activate TRIM" in Windows XP.

It could be assumed from the replies that it is possible to activate TRIM in XP. Is that not false?

Of course one can manually run TRIMs with the Toolbox, and that's just fine, but I don't consider that "activating" TRIM, as in enabling the OS to send a TRIM command. Since when can that be done in XP?

Also, DuckieHo, aren't you saying that for TRIM to work the SSDs firmware should be at least 02HA, and could also be 02HD?

For clearity's sake, XP does not support TRIM but the Toolbox's feature replicated the functionality of cleaning the SSD. I took OP as "How do I clean my SSD" implicitly.

Yes, I meant to say at least 02HA.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Duckie, that's fine, I understand.

I simply wanted the facts to be clear, and IMO the discussion as it was written might lead someone to believe that XP could send the TRIM command.

Forums are a great thing but they also can easily contain inaccurate or partially accurate information. A few words added or excluded can make a big difference in ones comprehension. This forum also has a large amount of non-native English speaking people reading it, so it is very important to write concisely and correctly.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm also having problems using trim. I know XP won't auto trim so I'll be happy using trim through the Toolbox but currently it won't run on my X25-M. You

mentioned that one of the requirements was: 3) Microsoft AHCI or Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers. My system won't boot with AHCI enabled in the bios. Will these the msahci or Intel drivers work on XP?

Here's my system:

XP Pro SP2

Gigabyte GA790FXTA-UD5

SB750 Southbridge

8 GB Corsiar 1333 DDR III

AMD Phenom II X4 965

Intel X25-M G2 w/Firmware version 02HA

ATI Radon HD 5700

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Your SB750 is an AMD product, and the Intel drivers will not work with it, for more reasons than it's not made by Intel. So you can forget the Intel drivers.

Have you visited AMD's web site and checked into what they have? I'm not an AMD user right now, so I can't supply any more advice than that. I would be surprised if AMD did not have an AHCI driver for at least some of their chipsets.

As for msahci (from Windows 7) working on XP, I doubt it, but I am not certain. I've never heard that it does, and I think it would be common knowledge by now in SSD-land if it did. But I sure don't know everything.

BTW, I just read that the SB750 supports AHCI, so check AMD's web site, the SB750 was AMD's best southbridge in 2008, so you should be able to find some AHCI drivers for it on AMD's web site, or what about your mother board manufactures web site?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

haye you used this ?

TIP ! I have found the solution on a competitor community forum

The second tweak is changing the Nvidia driver to the Microsoft one. Go to Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. You should see the device 'NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller', or maybe a few of them depending on how many devices you have installed. Go to properties on each one and for every ****** drive, do the following. Go to Driver -> Update Driver -> 'Install from a specific list or location (Advanced)' -> 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.' Select 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller' and click 'Next'. Click 'Finish' and reboot.

This tweak is a must for anyone with an Nforce chipset as it gives a great boost in the reads and a small increase in writes.