cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM under XP

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I have bought a X25-V and i'm under XP, how to activate TRIM ?

what is his advantage ? i know TRIM is used by defaut on Windows7....

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry for the delay, been away on business,

Yes I've scoured the AMD fourms and download pages. It appears that trim support is now available

in the latest CCC download but only for Win 7. AMD is not interested in supporting XP at all.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

parsec,

The SB750 only drives my SATA II ports and it does support AHCI. When I use the SATA III ports, driven by the Marvel 9128 controller, the drive flys with excellent benchmarks but won't support trim through a third party controller. After using it a few weeks it starts to drag, I can switch it to the SATA II ports,

real slow, and Trim works, erasing the deleated blocks then I have to move it back to the SATA III. I was hoping to be able to have speed and Trim together.

It seems as far as this setup with the X25-M, XP and AMD is a unworkable match.

did you try willemijns's suggestion?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The tip willemijns suggested seems to work if you have the Nvidia driver. I'm using a AMD CPU, AMD SD750 southbridge and

a ATI video card on a G-byte board. It's a good fix but won't work in my case.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

labtec, Your results are interesting and curious at the same time. While I am not challenging them, we can make some observations based upon the specifications of the interfaces and what I will call the standard (expected) results, given the components in your PC.

First of all, and this is a matter of some debate, while the X-25 M SSD is a great 'drive, it's specs are such that it should not outperform the SATA 2 interface speed. Meaning, there ought to be no difference in performance when connected to a SATA 2 or SATA 3 interface. Your experience seems to be otherwise.

Next, when used on the Marvell SATA 3 interface, without TRIM, you notice a performance reduction after a while, which is what is predicted in theory, and now seen in your experience. I have never used my SSDs as you have, so I cannot add anything here.

Then when you move the SSD to the SATA 2 interface, you seem to say that it is much slower than when used on the SATA 3 interface (sorry but I don't think you are very clear on that point, IMO.) But you also say you moved the SSD because it has already slowed down due to lack of TRIM. Later, you changed back to the SATA 3 interface because "I have to move it back to SATA 3", implying that the SATA 2 interface is obviously slower to you. Is this correct? I just wanted you to be more clear on all this. Have you performed benchmarks on your SSD with both interfaces? We would be interested in the results.

My comments are I am surprised the AMD SATA 2 interface is poor, since that chipset is one of AMDs best. It's also interesting to me to hear that your SSD performs better with the SATA 3 interface, as I will admit that I am on the sceptical side of the argument I mentioned above. Also, the Marvell controller is not held in high regard by some users, although I have read tests on it that indicate it can perform very well.

I have never seen conclusive data that shows that X-25 M SSDs perform better on a SATA 3 interface, which is why I am interested in your results.

On another topic, the point of the suggestion describing the driver change with the NVIDIA chipset, in case you missed it, is that you should be able to use the MS driver with your AMD chipset. Or are you saying that since you use XP, that will not work for you?