cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM update hosed my Windows 7 install

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just did the firmware update and it hosed my Windows 7 installation. The updater showed a successful firware update. Initially the computer booted just fine, but once I was within Windows it installed some drivers and asked for a reboot. That's when the trouble started. Now the drive won't boot Windows 7 anymore. I don't know if it's a Dell problem or Intel problem. The Dell BIOS claims a SMART error. I have a Dell XPS 8000.

197 REPLIES 197

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Stinks that some people are having troubles. Hopefully, the reason can be found. Mine went fine. Win7 did ask for a reboot after the upgrade. No errors after.the reboot.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I didn't have a problem either. I don't know what drivers they say were installed, haven't found anything different.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My Dell is a P55 Core i5 system if it matters. I had no special SATA drivers installed, just the ones that Windows 7 installed. It was running in ATA mode, RAID was disabled.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think this may be an issue with Dell, which I would never buy. Try calling Dell for support, just keep the aspirin bottle handy.

I installed the firmware in non-AHCI mode, no RAID or AHCI and it went smoothly. I have just the Microsoft drivers in Windows 7 64-bit. I followed the instructions for making the firmware CD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't think it's a Dell issue. There are 2 other reports here of the same problem with different hardware.